Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Roco z21

Firstly, Hi all.

New on here, so Hi to everybody in our wonderful hobby.

I have a question regarding the Roco z21 ( white box ).

I have received an Hornby DCC fitted " Jinty"  and when I try to read the  decoder it comes up with " Decoder error".   I don't know what the decoder number is as it was sent from my brother in Thailand !    He doesn't know what it is either !!   :no2: . Lol.

Also he sent me two other Hornby decoders that are doing the same thing??     I plugged them in to a loco I have here and same results.   I then put a brand new decoder in the same loco and no problems ?

The main problem is the Jinty as it has a 4 pin decoder and not the standard 6,8 or 21 pin.

Any views on this would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Del.

Some manufactures seem to have a habit of fitting cheap crap decoders in DCC fitted locos.   The crap decoder doesn't have the ability to be read. 

However, you can write to them, so put the z21 into programming track mode, one loco on the bit of programming track, and write an address of your choice to the decoder.  It should work.

(Personally, I'd re-wire the loco and fit a decent decoder - its only four wires, two to the track and two to the motor.  ).

- Nigel

Hi Nigel.

Thanks for your fast reply.

I have tried the program track method, still the same results!!

It may be that it is a crap decoder!   OR could it have been affected by airport X-ray = Gamma radiation??  I have read that radiation can affect the resistors??   This loco has been around the world quite a bit, Lol.

I will try to wire in another decoder and see what happens and post the results.

Cheers for now.

Del.

Just a reminder that 'reading' a decoder is not necessary:   If in doubt of the original number, simply try resetting the decoder - which is usually with CV8=8, but other options with some makes are CV8=2, CV8=9  etc ... allowing partial resetting for more complex decoders.  The original Hornby decoders are BASIC, and many in the starter sets will ONLY program in the number range CV1 = 1-99   

The white z21 does not have a separate programming track - so either remove all other locos whilst programming  (best) or sett to PoM mode ... but this may not allow CV1 to be changed .... but CV8 = 8 as a rset will probably work, and consequentally reset CV1 to = 3)

After trying to program CV8 to value 8 (reset), then try running the loco as loco 3 . Once this has worked, reprogram CV 1 from 3 to another number between 1-99

UPDATE:  Amongst other devices (see Z21 connections manual on Z21.eu)     uhlenbrock 63320  and other feedback modules

Hi Phil S.

Many thanks for that info.

Did the 8=8 and it worked!!    Should have known better but was under a time limit.

Anyway thanks very much for the info and all the best.

Thanks for all the other input, no doubt I will be back for other info in the future. Lol.

Cheers for now.  

Del.

Archived