City or Country

D5541

Hi all

Dull question for the day..

Having booked tickets for and looking forward to a trip to London Hauled by one of the new 68's, assuming my research was correct and I get a 68...

Which end of the train would the loco be at, the 'London end' or t'other end?

Working on an assumption from seeing the 90's come and go from Liverpool Street, those always have the loco at the city end of the train so I'm hoping the same will apply for the 68's...

Cheers

Dan

The 91's through St Evenage are country end. They can be noisy, and having several together at the bufferstops would be a pain. With a diesel you don't want it under the roof at the terminus, because of the exhaust.

Ed

Different routes have different orientations depending on how the stock is stabled/serviced. The usual arrangement on push-pull diagrams has been for the loco to be at the country end like the 91s are and Virgin Westcoast were before replacing everything with pendolinos, and for first class to be at the London end. From pictures I've seen, the 68s and mk3s from Marylebone also follow this format. The 90s on the GEML (and 86s before them) are the exception with the loco as well as first class at the London end due to the way Crown Point depot at Norwich is accessed by the stock.

it's not a hard and fast rule, but that's what 'usually' happens.

HTH

Thanks all for the replies, they were at the country end of the trains, but was an impressive beast nonetheless, sat at the back all the way enjoying the noise through the tunnels :-) got a couple of pics I shall post up at some point :-) of the bits I didn't get pics of, 68009 (Titan) in DRS livery and a Ruston 0-6-0 (I'm assuming the industrial version of the 07) were parked at Wembley along with a few of the Chiltern 68's, the DRS livery really looks smart on those :-)

Definitely a fan of these, can see Birmingham - Marylebone becoming my regular route to London :-) but due to late booking and ticket prices this weekend, I'm currently sat Paddington waiting for an HST home instead tonight, ah well, always next time :-)

The 91's through St Evenage are country end. They can be noisy, and having several together at the bufferstops would be a pain. With a diesel you don't want it under the roof at the terminus, because of the exhaust.

As they're maintained at Bounds Green, the MkIV sets were designed to have the 91 at the North end so it's easy to change locos at Kings X when one's required to be taken off for maintenance.

They're only noisy when the blower fans are running - when they're in a selected direction of travel or a minute or so afterwards, so having several at the buffers wouldn't really be a pain,

Trying to change locos at that end would be though  :jester:

Not much choice with the HSTs, hence the South end engines get shut down immediately on arrival, and aren't stated up till around 15 min before time.

The GEML sets, being maintained at Norwich, I would expect are the opposite way round for the same reason

• RMweb Premium

Definitely a fan of these, can see Birmingham - Marylebone becoming my regular route to London :-) but due to late booking and ticket prices this weekend, I'm currently sat Paddington waiting for an HST home instead tonight, ah well, always next time :-)

HST or 68? Where's an "envy" button when you need one?

Archived