north british livery for midlothian

kingfisher24

i have just got hold of a gem north british atlantic 4-4-2 which is built and almost ready to run. the loco has been put together using a resin of some kind which is not for me so the loco is going to be stripped back and rebuilt the low melt way.

when the loco is finally put back together, i plan to model it as a what might have been, ie, have 9875 (875) midlothian as it may have appeared if it had not been cut up at the start of the war. i plan on doing her in full north british livery similar to how glen douglas was turned out in 1959.

i am told that there are many different styles of nb livery and i am unsure as to what livery would be correct. i know that the base livery is an olive green and i know roughly the lining style but have no specific details.

has anybody built one of these locos in full nb livery who could possibly give me some pointers on livery etc.

Suggest look at and contact NB Study Group.

A font of knowledge. Issue 100 of Group Magazine covered liveries in depth?

Understand 9875 was in full LNER livery as time of second scraping. Note was resurrected once to be scrapped again just before WW 2, possible a unique achievement for a steam locomotive.

Enclose a copy of an image that shows what substantial imposing beasties they were.

Following NBR tender re-discovery there was a move to starting a new rebuild

Also there is the Thomas book on NBR Atlantics, and think 62c Models has some images to purchase on there website too.

post-16796-0-78170900-1435326867.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kingfisher,

There are several paintings of the NB Atlantics in livery you are considering.

As well as the references above there is an old postcard showing the livery.

http://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/NorthBritish/NorthBritish.html

This is the nearest I can find to the card - scroll down the page.

There is another postcard also showing this livery in the Tucks Oilette series but I can't find a copy online.

Thanks

Edit - Just remembered this fantastic looking model......

http://www.penmorfa.com/mikeslocos/two.html

Scoll down and see what I mean!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kingfisher,

I would certainly recommend that you join the NBR Study group as they are a wonderfully helpful group of people.

However, I have found researching for my own models that NBR loco livery is a complete minefield. Its one of those situations where the more you learn, the more you become uncertain. As most of the evidence is in black and white photographs most of the hotly debated questions will probably never be settled. 

We can't even be completely sure about the Bronze Green. Some sources suggest a Brown Livery when the Atlantic's were built, becoming a Bronze Green sometime before 1923.

There seems to be a general agreement that by 1903  the lining was red, black, yellow as shown on the preserved Glen Douglas. However, some surviving paintings specs, and many pictures also refer to a style colour between the lining and the edges of the tender, cab and edging the boiler bands in the manner of LBCSR Livery. Though this is once more a Green, again there is doubt as to its shade. Glen Douglas as I understand it does not have this feature of the livery. May be they stopped doing it for economy at some point, though from the photographs I have seen for the period up to 1923, I am convinced it was continued.

Another interesting feature is that there is a suggestion that the loco frames as well as those of bogies were also painted in the main body colour rather than the usual black!

In the end look at what's there in the evidence, and go with what you think is convincing. It' s pretty much impossible for anyone to prove you wrong!

Mark

Archived