Messrs Pooley van, Cardiff Docks 1977

br2975

2nd July 1977 - ( 38yrs ago ) - and my Zenit E and cheap 135mm telelphoto were taxed to the limit trying to capture this GWR van conversion for Messrs Pooley, weighbridge contractors, parked outside the 'Empire Shed' on the east end of Cardiff's  Queen Alexandra Dock.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the vans origins ( I have my own opinion ) and what its departmental (DW) number may have been ?

Thanks in advance.

Brian R

post-1599-0-97779000-1435845842_thumb.jpg

Guess what Brian ?

Continuing along Mr Bartlett's selection, I came across this, taken a year later, in the same location, but a different van.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrvans/h28430da7#h27f3ec92

The hunt continues

Brian R

I wonder if the one to the left of that one is the van in your original post, Brian?

Pooleys, established in Liverpool,  had been a pioneer in the development of weighbridges for rail and road; at the peak, they employed about 1500 people. They were bought by W&T Avery of Birmingham in 1931. Not only did they maintain the various weighbridges belonging to the railway companies, but also apparatus like the scales to be found at parcels offices and goods sheds. Hence their need for a large fleet of mobile workshops, as well as open wagons that carried weights for calibration purposes.

Archived