What are flange greasers used for and how do they work?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I know it's probably a daft question but I have no idea, also when did they begin to be used in the UK?

You mean flange greasers I take it. Applying grease to the railhead is the last thing you want to do in ANY situation - though malfunctioning flags greasers have on occasion done just that (with potentially dangerous results)

You mean flange greasers I take it. Applying grease to the railhead is the last thing you want to do in ANY situation - though malfunctioning flags greasers have on occasion done just that (with potentially dangerous results)

Sorry yes Flange greasers, that's why I'm not sure about them.

Are they supposed to just put grease on the flanges? I'd have thought that grease on the rail head would compromise adhesion. We (Eurotunnel) use flange lubricators on the arrival loop at Cheriton, which is tightly curved: when one stopped working, half the fleet needed the wheel-lathe within a couple of days...Most seem to work via a treadle, actuated by the flange hitting it- a small quantity of grease is deposited on the inside of the outer rail edge.

Apparently, American hobos used to put a little grease on the rail head, so that trains would lose traction and slow down for them to get on board; I hope our stow-aways haven't heard about that..

I don't know when they first arrived in the UK, but I remember one on the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr in the 1960s.

Are they supposed to just put grease on the flanges? I'd have thought that grease on the rail head would compromise adhesion.

I have a cab ride video of a single Norfolk Southern GP60 (4-axle, 3800HP) loco trying to start a max load train of RoadRailers over a malfunctioning (on) flange greaser. It is remarkable how much the excess grease on the railhead reduced the traction.

Adrian

Archived