French narrow gauge models

ianp

Are there any manufacturers of French HOm (12mm) or HOe (9mm) models which are available in the UK? Try as I might, I just can't seem to find any rolling stock that would help me model a French narrow gauge railway in HO scale. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Try 009 Society, NGRM online,or Voie Libre magazine, the last being hard to find but probably most useful.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

I subscribe to Voie Libre magazine and it is very good. But it is specifically retailers in the UK (if there are any) that I wish to track down. I will try the 009 Society.

I don't keep up with the French model railway scene as much as I used to. But I am fairly sure that there is still no ready to run HOm French-prototype manufactured.

Mougel's Billard railcar bodies passed to one of the other firms and would be easy to motorise using Halling bogies.

You would need kits and they tend to be sold directly by their artisan makers. Your best bet would be to go to the annual exhibition (usually end of November) at Cergy-Pontoise where most of the French manufacturers have trade stands.

• RMweb Premium

Like Joseph, I suspect you will struggle to find a UK supplier, with the possible exception of DJH who made (maybe still make) a kit of the Reseau Breton 230 tank loco.

The OH has built up a selection of models for her narrow gauge layout and all have been kits or scratch built and all have been sourced from France usually direct from the manufacturer, since even in French model shops these products are hard to find.

The suggestion to try and get to the November fair (usually clashes with Warley) is therefore a very good suggestion.

• RMweb Premium

A further thought.  Parkside Dundas produce a number of WD WWI wagons.  These are 009 and strictly speaking are not French, but many of them remained in France after the conflict and were used on 60cm systems - either as wagons as intended or stripped down to the chassis and a new body built above - frequently open sided passenger seating with a roof (baladeuse).

The compromises of 4mm/ft and non French origin may grate too much, but whatever you decide to do there are likely to be compromises. 

Most of the producers of stock seem to have disappeared or moved on to other things, but names to look out for on Ebay are Mougel (as suggested by Joseph), Interfer (now seem only to produce paints), Gecomodel (moved on to G scale).  Also, around three of the recent Atlas Editions autorail de France series were metre gauge.  You would need to find operational bogies and a motor but again this could be the basis for a cheap start.  The one prolific current producer of kits is Trains d'Antan and the models do look very tasty indeed, but I have no idea how easy these go together.  http://modele-reduit-train.com/

Thanks for those tips. The back page of the latest Voie Libre has a big advert for the Ramma show at Sedan in October: www.ramma.org . I really fancy going. Does anyone here have experience of it?

• RMweb Gold

A further thought.  Parkside Dundas produce a number of WD WWI wagons.  These are 009 and strictly speaking are not French, but many of them remained in France after the conflict and were used on 60cm systems - either as wagons as intended or stripped down to the chassis and a new body built above - frequently open sided passenger seating with a roof (baladeuse).

The compromises of 4mm/ft and non French origin may grate too much, but whatever you decide to do there are likely to be compromises. 

Most of the producers of stock seem to have disappeared or moved on to other things, but names to look out for on Ebay are Mougel (as suggested by Joseph), Interfer (now seem only to produce paints), Gecomodel (moved on to G scale).  Also, around three of the recent Atlas Editions autorail de France series were metre gauge.  You would need to find operational bogies and a motor but again this could be the basis for a cheap start.  The one prolific current producer of kits is Trains d'Antan and the models do look very tasty indeed, but I have no idea how easy these go together.  http://modele-reduit-train.com/

I had forgotten the Atlas autorails. Good call!

Those Train d'Antan kits look good although I think the De Dion was one that was covered in the Atlas series.

• RMweb Gold

If you are thinking French metre gauge, I have a 3D printed Corpet, and I think there are other designers with HO items on Shapeways.

Is there an easy chassis to put under the Corpet? They were the standard loco of the Tramways de l'Aude and so would be of interest to me.

Joseph_Pestell said

Tramways de l'Aude

Now that is a coincidence, I was researching this line last year, as I have a house in Herault , and had passed what I assumed were scattered remains( now bus stops?) on the line. I believe there is a new book coming out.

Now the Corpet. Not sure about a chassis for 12mm gauge. The only possible might be the Roco BR80 TT loco. It might be too tall, I have one in another loco(1/55 scale Decauville), and think I might have checked it against drawing for 1/87 Corpet. I have a printed body in both 1/87 and 1/76, so if I have a chance I will have a look.

Just had a look. As I thought the motor on the Roco loco sticks up too high for the 1/76 version, and also too much metal to cut out as well for the 1/87 version. Pity as the wheels etc are about right. This is one reason I have not done much in 12mm gauge. I think some people use N gauge chassis with stretched wheels. Certainly heard about this being done for railcars.I wonder if the Tillig(?) HOm loco chassis would do.

• RMweb Gold

Joseph_Pestell said

Now that is a coincidence, I was researching this line last year, as I have a house in Herault , and had passed what I assumed ere scattered remains on the line. I believe there is a new book coming out.

Now the Corpet. Not sure about a chassis for 12mm gauge. The only possible might be the Roco BR80 TT loco. It might be too tall, I have one in another loco(1/55 scale Decauville), and think I might have checked it against drawing for 1/87 Corpet. I have a printed body in both 1/87 and 1/76, so if I have a chance I will have a look.

Plenty of remains of the TA considering that it closed more than 80 years ago. Among the more interesting is the old engine shed at Tuchan which is now used as a cave by Chateau Wiala.

Because the line was almost exclusively roadside, there are not many remains of trackbed as road widening has taken place. Short stretches exist to the east of Lagrasse and north of Tuchan at the Col d'Extreme. But there are still quite a lot of buildings although many have been demolished in the 40+ years that I have been visiting and living in the Aude.

I bought a book last year which, typically French, is mostly based around postcard shots. But very good of its type.

I have that book. Bought at Sedan show couple of years ago. That was what got me interested, more in the line through Olonzac, as I tend to go that way home if I am flying to Carcassonne. tried following the line on Google map, and a lot of the route can be traced. The Carcassonne section looks interesting, but those postcards don't show much. I did find a reference to a new book coming out sometime, and I think that might also include the standard gauge lines to the north. It is about time there was more published about the lines in the south.

My interest has now switched to the electrified metre gauge line based in Arles and running out into the Camargue.

I have tracked down(?) a Tillig HOm 060T. It was listed as TT, so probably did not show up on radar. The motor looks like it is in the cab, and as there are no side tanks it does not look too wide. Hopefully it will arrive soon, so I can try it out. I am only really interested to see if it will fit, as it is useful when promoting the models.

My preferred scale for the metre gauge models I am planning is 1/55 scale on 16.5mm gauge track(a bit narrow, but easier than going for EM gauge track etc). I have a Corpet in this scale, which fits on a Bachmann chassis, and a railcar ready to find a suitable chassis. The Camargue distraction has put these on the shelf for the moment.

If you want reasonably priced railcar chassis for 12mm gauge, there is a dealer on eBay in France with HOm bogie tram chassis. I know railcars came too late for the lines in the Aude, but if buses had not been so successful, then maybe the lines would have lasted a few more years. 

• RMweb Gold

I have that book. Bought at Sedan show couple of years ago. That was what got me interested, more in the line through Olonzac, as I tend to go that way home if I am flying to Carcassonne. tried following the line on Google map, and a lot of the route can be traced. The Carcassonne section looks interesting, but those postcards don't show much. I did find a reference to a new book coming out sometime, and I think that might also include the standard gauge lines to the north. It is about time there was more published about the lines in the south.

My interest has now switched to the electrified metre gauge line based in Arles and running out into the Camargue.

I have tracked down(?) a Tillig HOm 060T. It was listed as TT, so probably did not show up on radar. The motor looks like it is in the cab, and as there are no side tanks it does not look too wide. Hopefully it will arrive soon, so I can try it out. I am only really interested to see if it will fit, as it is useful when promoting the models.

My preferred scale for the metre gauge models I am planning is 1/55 scale on 16.5mm gauge track(a bit narrow, but easier than going for EM gauge track etc). I have a Corpet in this scale, which fits on a Bachmann chassis, and a railcar ready to find a suitable chassis. The Camargue distraction has put these on the shelf for the moment.

If you want reasonably priced railcar chassis for 12mm gauge, there is a dealer on eBay in France with HOm bogie tram chassis. I know railcars came too late for the lines in the Aude, but if buses had not been so successful, then maybe the lines would have lasted a few more years. 

Rule 1 applies here. I like autorails so even if any HOm model would probably be based on the TA, I would not limit myself to steam. One class of loco makes for a slightly dull layout.

• RMweb Gold

If you are thinking French metre gauge, I have a 3D printed Corpet, and I think there are other designers with HO items on Shapeways.

Simon, I see that you have mentioned on another thread (about 3D trackbases) that you have devised some way to make Shapeways website more accessible. A good idea as I have no idea how to find things on there. Is it within RMWeb rules for you to give links?

• RMweb Premium

I looked up ExpoRail via Google. Only website for 2014 with no info for this year.

But I expect it is still happening. French railway shows much more casually organised than ours.

Rail Expo will be 27th to 29th November - according to the Le Circle Historique du Rail Francais.

With respect to my new web pages, there is a link from my own website(should be in signature). I did send an email to someone about mentioning my 3D printing, but got no reply. I have just taken out an advert in BRM magazine, hopefully from next issue to tie in with new BRM layout project so think that covers it. One reason I got the website sorted out was because I wanted to put the advert in, but felt the Shapeways website would put some people off.

There is nothing really special in the new web pages, they just list my items with pictures and link directly to the individual item on Shapeways. The payment system works as normal.

My way of sorting the problem works for my items, but obviously does not sort out the overall search problems. If I have time I just plough through the items in say model trains, and when I find something interesting link to that designers e-shop.

I found the Nm scale railcars by Ivan(ivanindustries) this way, but have since seen the models in articles in Continental Modeller. There is one HOm diesel in the range, pity the railcars are not in bigger scales, but I know it is not always that easy to resize models, even if the design allows it. The software I use has a scaling command, but I still have to go through and check minimum wall thicknesses. It won't adjust wall thickness automatically. Even if it was possible I would still want to be in command.

I may look at the railcar I did in 1/55 to see if it will go down to HOm. I could not get the various curves of the roof right, so never made it available. The one I have will need some sanding and filling on the roof. This was one of the more angular post war railcars. I got stuck trying to get the more curvacious pre war railcars . The angles on the cab windows defy mathematics. This is possibly one reason why I like these railcars.

Someone else to look at on Shapeways is Tom Bell(Tebee). Nothing specifically French, but some of his designs might suit a French layout.

I received the Tillig HOm loco today. I knew straight away it should fit, as loco was the same length as the Corpet. The cab was plastic and unclipped OK, The rest of the body is solid metal, and includes the weight  in same piece.

I needed to modify my loco body(I will change the design so it needs less modification) slightly. Basically opening up the inside of the cab, and a couple of nips to take part of the coupling rods. Once I had tested the chassis worked, I also removed the clips which held the cab body and smoothed out the plastic.

As there is now less strength in the cab, I plan to block off the door ways, which will also hide the motor.  New weight will be needed at front of loco, but there is plenty of room, especially with the side tanks as well.

I only bought the Tillig loco to try it out,so am happy to sell it on with the Corpet body if anyone is interested.

corpet-1-87-tillig-sm.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Rail Expo will be 27th to 29th November - according to the Le Circle Historique du Rail Francais.

Thanks. That seems to be their regular weekend now. Pity it could not be a fortnight before when we are in Paris for a friend's 50th.

• RMweb Gold

Joseph , at least you are closer to Paris than I am at the moment. mind you when I eventually move to France I will be even further away, but it will be easier to get to

Don't count on that. I used to find that the cheminots always had their jours de greve when I wanted to travel.

Archived