Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Who would want to learn English?

Joseph_Pestell

To get to the subject of the title - why virtually everyone who doesn't speak English wants to.

For native English speakers, there is no incentive to learn another language, as everyone wants to understand yours.

I feel humbled when I come across people who speak many languages, but then they may have to. I don't.

• RMweb Premium

To get to the subject of the title - why virtually everyone who doesn't speak English wants to.

For native English speakers, there is no incentive to learn another language, as everyone wants to understand yours.

I feel humbled when I come across people who speak many languages, but then they may have to. I don't.

I worked in Germany for a while and made an effort to learn the basics of the language

but I found most people wanted to speak to me in English.

They were glad of the opportunity to practice their use of the language.

I worked for an Italian owned company for six years and they insisted we learned Italian - and paid for lessons in work time - we became very competent.

But it backfired on them - they could no longer suddenly switch to Italian during meetings to talk secretly amongst each other about what useless idiots we were - because we could now understand them. :mosking:

I worked for an Italian owned company for six years and they insisted we learned Italian - and paid for lessons in work time - we became very competent.

But it backfired on them - they could no longer suddenly switch to Italian during meetings to talk secretly amongst each other about what useless idiots we were - because we could now understand them. :mosking:

What-a mistake-a to make-a  :jester:

Archived