ESU auto setting routine problem

chaz

With the V4 Loksound chip there is a routine whereby you set a couple of special CVs and the loco takes off like a scolded cat. When this happens the deocder sets itself to suit the motor - saving the user the task. I did this with my 0-4-0ST and it worked very well.

Now, my DCC system is fixed into my exhibition layout and, for reasons too tedious to go into, it is presently inaccessible.

I have a Lokprogrammer and with this hooked up to my laptop running ESU's software it provides a virtual cab. If I connect this to a spare yard of Peco 7mm will I be able to do the auto-setup routine?

Anybody done this and know it works?

Chaz

The first problem that springs to mind is that the Lok Programmer has very little power output to deal with the auto tune feature.

It's not really designed to run locos as such, just light testing. Mine trips if I try to do too much with my 7mm locos.

But set CV54 to zero, make sure the direction is set you want the loco to run in, very critical otherwise nasty bumps can happen, and then hit F1 and take cover.

The auto tune feature will work, will it work using the Lok Programmer, not sure.

The first problem that springs to mind is that the Lok Programmer has very little power output to deal with the auto tune feature.

It's not really designed to run locos as such, just light testing. Mine trips if I try to do too much with my 7mm locos.

But set CV54 to zero, make sure the direction is set you want the loco to run in, very critical otherwise nasty bumps can happen, and then hit F1 and take cover.

The auto tune feature will work, will it work using the Lok Programmer, not sure.

Thanks for that - seems like I won't do much harm if I try it? If it does work it will save me a lot of grief - if it doesn't I am inclined to leave the job until the layout is set up for the show.

• RMweb Gold

It does work, stick any loco on a rolling road and its done.

It does work, stick any loco on a rolling road and its done.

Thanks for that - rolling road - obvious!  I use mine so rarely I forgot I have one. As you obviously speak from experience I am encouraged. it shall be done.

Chaz

Thanks to Tarifa's advice I put my loco on a rolling road, connected it to the laptop with the ESU programmer. Then I used the "drivers cab" and the CV read/write routines in ESUs software to effect an auto set-up - which worked with no problems.

P1050137-2%20800%20x%20500_zpswmj0rqdu.j

A very useful facility if you can't access your layout or DCC system.

Chaz

I'm curious to know whether you get slightly different results on a rolling road, as on the track, the motor will come up to speed slower, and will reach a lower top speed as there is the weight of the loco to slow it down, whereas on the rolling road there is only the angular inertial of the wheels and the rolling road bearings..

I'm curious to know whether you get slightly different results on a rolling road, as on the track, the motor will come up to speed slower, and will reach a lower top speed as there is the weight of the loco to slow it down, whereas on the rolling road there is only the angular inertial of the wheels and the rolling road bearings..

Interesting, Keith.

I'd say there was more resistance in turning the rollers than just trundling along rails. Also, where has the weight of the loco gone in you Rolling Road senario?

Dave

Interesting, Keith.

I'd say there was more resistance in turning the rollers than just trundling along rails. Also, where has the weight of the loco gone in you Rolling Road senario?

Where has the weight of the loco gone?  Nowhere - the loco just sits there - that is precisely my point! In theory the loco will reach a lower top speed, or to put it another way the wheels will revolve slightly slower, when it runs on the rails because the motor has to do more work to accelerate the mass of the loco to that top speed and then hold it there against wind resistance. When on the rolling road, it only has to accelerate the wheelsand overcome any friction in the rolling road itself, it does not accelerate the body.

I can't answer your question and I think to do so one would have to do the auto set-up twice, once on the track and once on the rolling road and each time read the values out of the relevant CVs to see if they were different. I have too many other things on the go to do this myself - any volunteers?

Archived