Home or Professional DCC fitting

Barnaby

Hello Gents.

I have a 0 gauge Ixion Fowler sound and dcc chipped by EDM models and a fabo job it is too.

Going forward I will have all my locos [max 5] updated to the same standard however my DCC knowledge is scant only being enough to run my Lenz 100 system and control the Ixion via its chip. . 

I have ready for the paint shop a Tower 02 and I am wondering if my DCC knowledge could be improved by adding the sound & drive chip myself.

Or am I best going the secure root and have Paul at EDM do it if he is able to.  On these matters I can follow instruction and I do have an electronic background so components, pcb's etc are familiar.  I am thinking the 02 could make a good model to have a go with but I've no idea which chip or where I should install a socket etc.

If this info exists on here already I'd be grateful if someone could point me in that direction.

Cheers

It is actually pretty easy to hardwire a decoder to a loco, especially if there are no lights. Effectively you isolate the motor from the pickups and then wire the pickup wires from the decoder (black, red) to the pickups and the motor ones (grey, orange) to the motor teminals. For a sound decoder, all the other connections (speaker, capacitor) will likely be on the decoder.

You might want to get a cheap, wired non-sound decoder (be careful of the max current rating because you are in O gauge) and try chipping a loco yourself with that just to get an understanding of the process. Once you have done one you will realize how simple it can be.

Adrian

Hello Gents.

I have a 0 gauge Ixion Fowler sound and dcc chipped by EDM models and a fabo job it is too.

Going forward I will have all my locos [max 5] updated to the same standard however my DCC knowledge is scant only being enough to run my Lenz 100 system and control the Ixion via its chip. . 

I have ready for the paint shop a Tower 02 and I am wondering if my DCC knowledge could be improved by adding the sound & drive chip myself.

Or am I best going the secure root and have Paul at EDM do it if he is able to.  On these matters I can follow instruction and I do have an electronic background so components, pcb's etc are familiar.  I am thinking the 02 could make a good model to have a go with but I've no idea which chip or where I should install a socket etc.

If this info exists on here already I'd be grateful if someone could point me in that direction.

Cheers

Barnaby,

I don't much enjoy fitting decoders to my locos. However I have done all my locos except the Ixion Fowler which, like you, I bought ready fitted from Paul at EDM.

What you will have to sort out...

• somewhere to put the decoder, the keep-alive (pretty much essential IMHO) and the speaker.
  • a way of fixing or containing the above
  • Wiring runs - with kit built locos I terminate all the wires from the pick-ups somewhere convenient so that the black and red leads from the decoder have one place to go to connect to them.
  • CV settings - you may well have to do this even if you opt for a professional fit

Nothing too difficult - finding space is often the most challenging part but should be possible with most 7mm locos - certainly most kit built models offer plenty of space.

I'd be more than happy to offer you any advice I can if you decide to DIY.

ATB

Chaz

Thanks Gents

Thanks too for the extra offer Chaz that may well be the comfort assist I would need to entice me to have a go.

I'll go and read up based on your listings above.

Another follow on question:-  How/where do I find a suitable chip and I am correct in thinking 1 chip can do both sound & speed control?  I'm thinking I find a look up list for locos , search for my 02 and that's the one I'd need to use.

I'm only just beginning to look into doing this as you can probably tell.  I did try to contact Paul @ EDM today to see what he could do but he is on holiday until the 10th August hence my post here looking at DIY.

I do have a fair bit of track laying to get done so this may be a long slow DIY job.

Best.

Thanks Gents

Thanks too for the extra offer Chaz that may well be the comfort assist I would need to entice me to have a go.

I'll go and read up based on your listings above.

Another follow on question:-  How/where do I find a suitable chip and I am correct in thinking 1 chip can do both sound & speed control?  I'm thinking I find a look up list for locos , search for my 02 and that's the one I'd need to use.

I'm only just beginning to look into doing this as you can probably tell.  I did try to contact Paul @ EDM today to see what he could do but he is on holiday until the 10th August hence my post here looking at DIY.

I do have a fair bit of track laying to get done so this may be a long slow DIY job.

Best.

Yes Barnaby the one chip will control both the motor and the sound, and lights, smoke etc if you want 'em as well.

When it comes to sound projects you will need to check through lists. Diesels are pretty well served (as you might expect) but steam is a different matter. You often have to make sensible substitutions. For instance my Ixion Hudswell Clarke has a sound project based on recordings of a J94 (austerity 0-6-0ST) in a Zimo chip - I think it sounds OK. My ex-GNR 0-6-0ST has an ESU Loksound chip with a sound project by South West Digital based on a BR 2MT. In my experience any reasonably convincing steam sounds will do fine - it's the whistle that often catches out. You don't want a Stanier hooter in a LNER tank loco.

Most of my locos have ESU Loksound chips in, often with SWD sound. If you were to invest in an ESU LokProgrammer you could download projects from their website and work on these to get the effects you want. When I put sound in my V2, which is a 3 cylinder design I settle on a downloaded German class 44 2-10-0. A loco not much like Gresley's greyhound but the sound is good, with the cylinder beat coming in groups of three - as it should. The problem was the whistle, too much like a Stanier hooter and nothing like the shrill LNER item. I grabbed a short sound file from a video of Green Arrow and added that. There were also lots of pumps and other gadgets that British locos don't have and a bell - these I deleted from the project.

It is possible to make your own sound projects from scratch with the various bits cut from recordings you have made of the real thing - but unless you really want to do this (and you would have to be really interested as it is a huge job - which I have never tackled) I would advise against it.

Suggestion

When you are ready to take on your first installation, choose a loco, post the details (maybe PM me to draw my attention) and I, and maybe others on RMweb, will give you what help and advice I/we can.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Barnaby

Hard wiring locos to sound is very easy. I've just done five of my 0 gauge locos.

If you can solder proficiently youl be fine.

So long as your locos use modern motors which draw less current than some 4mm you can use an appropriate 4 mm decoder.

I only use Zimo MX645 decoders from Digitrains or Youchoos. You can also use Zimo orYouchoos sugar cube speakers for your small locos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-EcYyc7ks8

Barnaby,

Which locos do you need sound for?

You probably know that I created the sound project for the Ixion Fowler, which uses a ZIMO decoder for motor power/control as well as producing the sound. I'm also creating the sound for the Peckett 'E' Class for EDM

I have sound projects for a small but growing range of small industrials, both steam and diesel. And a very nice Class 08.  (I have the San Cheng 08 model too, this is a very easy installation and a good one to cut your teeth on. Plenty of room for the decoder, a big speaker and some supercaps as fitted to your Ixion Fowler

I recorded a couple of Simplex locos with Dorman diesel engines today.

I will be recording an 02 next month, and already have sounds for the almost identical, but hydraulic transmission, Ruston.

You can adapt the sounds from foreign locos if you want or you can see if I have genuine reordings of the real UK loco available.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived