2 decoders in one locomotive

mihir.padhye

Hello Everyone,

I have some locomotives with ESU Loksound v4 decoder. I want to add ZIMO function decoder MX685/6 to control Pantographs via servo motor. ESU decoder has 15 functions mapped. If I map F16 and F17 on ZIMO decoder for moving pantographs via servo motor then will all 17 functions show up on ECoS 50200 under one locomotive.

If anyone has tried it or has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks and Best Regards

Mihir

I have read a description of what I recall as a crane model by Rutger Friberg about twenty years ago, which used two decoders; the two decoders were required because back then decoders had way fewer function outputs. The principle you propose was used, by mapping the functions appropriately on decoders which had the same address, all could be addressed as though on a single decoder.

The enabling element is planning for decoder programming: it has to be possible to temporarily disconnect each decoder from track supply to enable the other to be programmed independently.

It sound like it would work but one thing that hit me is you will need to turn off railcom on one off the decoders other wise the ECoS will see both decoders and get upset. this is if both decoders have railcom. I hope this help.

Richard

Although a more expensive option, ZIMO sound decoders have special settings for pantograph operations built in as standard, including linking to raising/lowering sounds and 'sparking' effects using LEDs. You would only need one decoder per model, an MX645R for example, which will perform all your tasks, run your motor (superbly) and provide sound.

Loksound V4.0 are good decoders though not exactly blessed with a multitude of Function Outputs, but if I were you I would investigate to see if the Lok V4 will operate your pantographs before adding other decoders. If not, you could pull these decoders to re-blow for use in something else and fit ZIMO sound decoders as replacements. (this will depend if your loco type is available as a sound project).

Good luck,

Paul

Hello,

Thank you everyone who has replied to my question.

@Richard,

You are correct. I do need to switch the RailCom off for the functional decoder.

@Paul,

You are perfectly right. All ZIMO decoders have 8-10 functions plus 2 SUSI/Servo outputs. The problem is for my Trix locomotives there is already a sound decoder. I read in ZIMO decoder manual that in some Trix locomotives the protective resistors on the locomotive board have been omitted i.e. instead of 100kO they have used 0 Ohm resistors. From when or on which model is not specified. If such is the case replacing the existing sound decoder with a MX645D decoder can be quite risky. Instead I will keep them as it is and install one MX632W for cab light and Pantograph functionality. If you have any information about this please do let me know.

For ESU as you must be knowing they do have a I/O expansion (51970) board only for 21MTC decoder which gives you 4 additional functions, 2 servo outputs and a smoke generator connection. I do not know whether the expansion board supports a lower version Loksound 3.5 ,21MTC. I will post this question in the ESU forums. If it does then problem solved :-) . If no then MX632W is the way. Again any inputs are most welcome.

Fortunately most of my locomotives are Roco with sound. As you said they all have the MX645P22 decoder in it so I just need to activate it.

Again thanks a lot for your replies.

Regards

Mihir

Hello,

Thank you everyone who has replied to my question.

@Richard,

You are correct. I do need to switch the RailCom off for the functional decoder.

@Paul,

You are perfectly right. All ZIMO decoders have 8-10 functions plus 2 SUSI/Servo outputs. The problem is for my Trix locomotives there is already a sound decoder. I read in ZIMO decoder manual that in some Trix locomotives the protective resistors on the locomotive board have been omitted i.e. instead of 100kO they have used 0 Ohm resistors. From when or on which model is not specified. If such is the case replacing the existing sound decoder with a MX645D decoder can be quite risky. Instead I will keep them as it is and install one MX632W for cab light and Pantograph functionality. If you have any information about this please do let me know.

For ESU as you must be knowing they do have a I/O expansion (51970) board only for 21MTC decoder which gives you 4 additional functions, 2 servo outputs and a smoke generator connection. I do not know whether the expansion board supports a lower version Loksound 3.5 ,21MTC. I will post this question in the ESU forums. If it does then problem solved :-) . If no then MX632W is the way. Again any inputs are most welcome.

Fortunately most of my locomotives are Roco with sound. As you said they all have the MX645P22 decoder in it so I just need to activate it.

Again thanks a lot for your replies.

Regards

Mihir

Two decoders in one loco should be OK. Give them different addresses and make a consist that includes them both.

Chaz

• 2 months later...

Broadway produced some sound fitted locos to which you added your own motor control decoder. So 2 decoders should not be a problem also no reason why you don't give them the same address. I have done this in a Broadway AC6000. Also Bachmann DMU's are often like having 2 decoders in one loco (1 in the power 1 in the trailer.) set to the same address.

May be an idea to lock the ESU before programming the second decoder.

Archived