3D Printing and 009

MattB

Having had an interest in narrow gauge 009 for almost as long a my interest in 00 I have found it hard sourcing engines that are good runners.(see previous post ref hudson hunslet and graham farish)  Recently a bit of research led me to purchasing some 3D printed 009 unpainted bodyshells for only 20 quid each off ebay which had been moulded to fit into a Kato tram chassis (also about £20) Before that I had been relying on minitrains which although HO I was just about able to get away with the size for the diesel engine. Excellent value and equally excellent running. The bodyshells have good starter detail but for the moment I am more interested in watching the them move then giving them enhanced detail

Also yesterday I built my first permanent 009 track loop - Ive only had end to end running before. :)

Could 3D printing be the way forward for guys like me who like to see the trains run and don't want to fork out 100 quid plus for a (very small) kit.

I like the look of these 3D printed kits; Tebee's look particularly good.

Given the OP's premise, however, the Minitrains chassis option looks an expensive one.  With a Fourdees RTR GVT for £145, a 3D printed body plus a minitrains chassis from a loco costing £104 does not seem to offer a cost advantage, though, of course, there is the advantage of a wider choice.

I cannot see that the Minitrains loco chassis are available separately. I just wonder what considerations are important for other forum members when making their choices. 

I like the look of these 3D printed kits; Tebee's look particularly good.

Given the OP's premise, however, the Minitrains chassis option looks an expensive one.  With a Fourdees RTR GVT for £145, a 3D printed body plus a minitrains chassis from a loco costing £104 does not seem to offer a cost advantage, though, of course, there is the advantage of a wider choice.

I cannot see that the Minitrains loco chassis are available separately. I just wonder what considerations are important for other forum members when making their choices.

If you are a member of the OO9 society the you can get just chassis from time to time the F&C 0-4-0 chassis is around £86 but you need to be a member

Archived