Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

3D Printing and 009

MattB

Having had an interest in narrow gauge 009 for almost as long a my interest in 00 I have found it hard sourcing engines that are good runners.(see previous post ref hudson hunslet and graham farish)  Recently a bit of research led me to purchasing some 3D printed 009 unpainted bodyshells for only 20 quid each off ebay which had been moulded to fit into a Kato tram chassis (also about £20) Before that I had been relying on minitrains which although HO I was just about able to get away with the size for the diesel engine. Excellent value and equally excellent running. The bodyshells have good starter detail but for the moment I am more interested in watching the them move then giving them enhanced detail

Also yesterday I built my first permanent 009 track loop - Ive only had end to end running before. :)

Could 3D printing be the way forward for guys like me who like to see the trains run and don't want to fork out 100 quid plus for a (very small) kit.

I like the look of these 3D printed kits; Tebee's look particularly good.

Given the OP's premise, however, the Minitrains chassis option looks an expensive one.  With a Fourdees RTR GVT for £145, a 3D printed body plus a minitrains chassis from a loco costing £104 does not seem to offer a cost advantage, though, of course, there is the advantage of a wider choice.

I cannot see that the Minitrains loco chassis are available separately. I just wonder what considerations are important for other forum members when making their choices. 

I like the look of these 3D printed kits; Tebee's look particularly good.

Given the OP's premise, however, the Minitrains chassis option looks an expensive one.  With a Fourdees RTR GVT for £145, a 3D printed body plus a minitrains chassis from a loco costing £104 does not seem to offer a cost advantage, though, of course, there is the advantage of a wider choice.

I cannot see that the Minitrains loco chassis are available separately. I just wonder what considerations are important for other forum members when making their choices.

If you are a member of the OO9 society the you can get just chassis from time to time the F&C 0-4-0 chassis is around £86 but you need to be a member

Archived