Dual gauge diamond

Hi all

I need a dual gauge diamond crossover, one line being OO-9 and the other being Z gauge.  Curiously there isn't one readily available on the market (can't imagine why...) so if I want one, building my own seems the only option, and Templot seems to be recommended (I have never used it before).

I cannot seem to find how to modify settings on a diamond crossing so that each are different gauges.  I'm assuming that this is possible?

Thanks

'Nut

• RMweb Gold

I need a dual gauge diamond crossover, one line being OO-9 and the other being Z gauge.  Curiously there isn't one readily available on the market (can't imagine why...)

Hi 'Nut,

The reason is that it is not physically possible to build a diamond-crossing if one track is 00-9 and the other is Z gauge. The Z gauge wheels will fall in the gaps and derail.

For mixed-gauge pointwork it is necessary that both lines use the same wheels and flangeway gaps. Which means you can use different gauges between the rails, but both lines must be built to the same scale.

Mixed-gauge pointwork is created in Templot using multiple partial templates. If you have not used Templot before, you need to become familiar with using the program before attempting mixed-gauge designs.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

It's actually the Busch Feldbahn system I am using that is the Z gauge track so technically HO-f but it is the same between rails hence my thought of it being a fairly simple thing to do..

Ah. You didn't say that. It's impossible to advise without knowing the actual wheel profile and track standards used for each track.

00-9 often uses N gauge wheels, whereas it should of course be small 4mm scale wheels gauged to 9mm.

If the Busch system is really H0, it should be using H0 wheels re-gauged to 6.5mm. Is it?

Try measuring the width of the wheels on your 00-9 and Busch models. If they are both the same or similar, a diamond-crossing is probably possible.

regards,

Martin.

You just need to have a chat with Brian Harrap, over on the overseas modelling section. (Section of Brian's picture and his copyright)

I did, by PM, who suggested copper clad construction and give it a try :)

On the basis that I struggle with a plastic kit, I'm not sure that building trackwork is going to be very easy (and of course I still have to get hold of the bits...)

Archived