Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Non-Mk-I steam era coaches and new 00 manufacturers

Non-Mk-I steam era coaches  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If you owned a model railway company and planned to release new steam-era 00 coaches within two years, which coaching stock do think would make you the most money?

• Non-gangwayed coaches
    • Glamour express coach sets (eg: Silver Jubilee, Coronation, etc)
    • Gangwayed coaches
    • Pre-grouping, short, non-gangwayed coaches
    • Specialty suburban coaches (eg: LNER articulated sets)
    • Other specialty coaches (eg autocoach, dynamometer car, inspection or director's saloons, etc)
  2. 2. Setting aside concerns regarding total price, how long do you prefer your trains to be?

• Three coaches or less
    • Four coaches
    • Five coaches
    • Six coaches
    • More than six coaches

Something like the LNER streamliners actually had a pretty short active life.

True, but would they sell?

... the fashion for GWR branches seems to have faded.

I suspect it's still quite popular with GWR fans - just not in magazine articles! I'm inclined to think that people are just as interested in branch line working as ever (they don't *have* to be Great Western.

• 3 weeks later...

I wondered when Bachmann announced the Portholes that they decided to deliver the 'full pack' containing first, third, composite each with and without brake compartment (-ish, don't flog me if there is an unvalid combo). I wondered if there have been more than a handful trains in the 50s which had all of these.

If I was in charge with a RTR manufacturer I'd opt for a mixed range, for example calling it LNER Pre-Grouping Coaches. There would have been 6 bogie corridor coaches, two of GER origin, two of GNR and two of NER origin. Each pair would be like brake third and compo or similar. Advantages would be

- Due to a more widespread nature the market is bigger cause more modellers are adressed to.

- All of them could be used in the same train in LNER and early BR liveries.

- They'd make good collectors items in LNER teak and pre-grouping liveries.

- Those who follow a pre-grouping company will boost sales if they buy multiple coaches of 'their' company and convert them to the types not produced.

- They are still commonly advertisable under the 'LNER Pre-Grouping Coaches' brand.

- As there are several basic coach types, the possibilities for further development at a later stage are greater, e.g. to add further coaches to the range.

The major disadvantage of the concept is the higher tooling costs for the 3 types.

.... Something like the LNER streamliners actually had a pretty short active life...

Like into the mid sixties. They only ran as the planned formations until WWII, and were not reinstated as such subsequently, 'tis true. But operate in service they did, like all the other later grouping era stock until finally displaced by BR designs, and can carry three liveries.

(There's a good colour picture of a V2 pounding through Holgate station in 1948, with a train of dirty varnished teak stock, save for what at first glance look like a pair of BR blue/grey liveried coaches midway along the train. These must be an articulated pair from the Coronation/West Riding sets.)

Archived