Custom etching.

Hi,

I've been wanting to have some parts etched in either brass or nickel silver. So can anyone direct me to a place in the UK where I can get parts custom etched?

I also have a few questions about etching, so hope you'll can answer them?

• What thickness is the metal sheets on which the etches are done? (I mainly want 0.2mm and 0.5mm)
  • What are the limitations to etching? (Eg: how thin can the vertical slats on a grille be or can a pantograph be etched)
  • I have a wide range of things to etch from T gauge accessories to HO scale kits. Are HO scale coach kits viable as etches or 3D printed?
  • What are the aprroximate costs?

Cheers!

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've been wanting to have some parts etched in either brass or nickel silver. So can anyone direct me to a place in the UK where I can get parts custom etched?

• What thickness is the metal sheets on which the etches are done? (I mainly want 0.2mm and 0.5mm)
  • What are the limitations to etching? (Eg: how thin can the vertical slats on a grille be or can a pantograph be etched)
  • I have a wide range of things to etch from T gauge accessories to HO scale kits. Are HO scale coach kits viable as etches or 3D printed?

Cheers!

Thanks in advance.

Hi, It's me again!

I have used Grainge and Hodder,

http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/photo-etching1.html

and have heard good reports of PPD

http://www.ppdltd.com/stock-metals.html

See their list of metals for the range, and the FAQ's are also helpful.I think it's fair to say that they can etch anything you can handle, I have recently had some windows done that are quite fine, the limits are more how fragile the finished article is. 

post-18627-0-71567900-1439366119_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-22776100-1439366121_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-61146700-1439366122_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-88411300-1439366123_thumb.jpg

2 x 9" x 6" sheets were about £80.00 if I recall correctly, the real cost would be getting the artwork done if you can't do CAD drawings, and the cost of that will obviously depend on the complexity of the work. But bear in mind no-one's going to be doing it for a living at less than £15 an hour, so that will be the main cost. 

Coaches would be fine in brass, 3D printing is probably not the way to go for that, but have a look at Shapeways site to see what folks are doing, and more importantly get an idea of the costs of items. An HO sized coach in 3D is likely to be expensive, it's probably better for smaller items and masters.

Peter

Hi,

Cheers!

Thanks in advance.

I have used PPD for both artwork and etching and found them to be very helpful and reliable

I also use PPD. Their website has a helpful FAQ section that will answer most of your questions. Some of the answers could be specific to a particular providers way of working so it is worth checking the website FAQs or asking directly of the company that you approach for your etch tools and parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived