Wanted - Bachmann Spectrum GE 44T Switcher - Old type chassis

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'm looking to get one of the old Bachmann Spectrum 44t Switcher chassis.

Now - this does not need to be a runner - as long as it has the bogies, axles and wheels!

Don't need a body either!

Does anyone have one that I can take off their hands?

Checking on Ebay these seem to go for about £30.00 complete inc p&p.

Let me know - the next project for Wide Hollow Junction needs this urgently.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

What do you need it for...?

Hi Andy,

Chassis to go under a Steeple Cab!

I have the motors from one which had stripped it's gears.

That means - with a bit of messing about - I can get the Steeple Cab running and have bits for another loco out of the combined bits.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

HI all,

Even though Andy has a way to use the new chassis under the steeple cab - I'm still interested in one of the older Spectrum chassis that were dual motored.

If I can get one - then I can use it under a body to make a different loco for another project!

Thanks

Just curious, the earlier models had two self contained bogies, do I understand from the above that later ones had a single, centre, motor driving the two bogies?

I have a couple of the motorised bogies for use on a particular project, it'd be useful to know if the newer ones are different.

Thanks.

Dear Arthur,

Correct, there have been now at least 5 different "phases" of B'mann 44 tonner production.

The first 3 had a motor in each "truck" or "bogie", geared down thru 44:1.

These are still popular in On30 and Gn15 circles for diesel critter locos.

The latest iterations of the B'mann 44 (and 70) tonner uses a completely new chassis,
lower profile, with a central motor and worm-gears fore-and-aft to the truck towers.

diagram here

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/62201.pdf

Unless the modelling project in-question specifically calls for:

- a single 4-wheel power truck
(in which case, reccomend looking at the Black Beetle or Stanton power truck)

- a pair of 4-wheel power trucks mounted sooo close together as to make a central motor impossible
(again, look the to the BBs or Stanton)

- or a 44-tonner-length B-B mech which needs to turn tighter than 15"
(in which case, we're probably talking a boxcab body, because no hood-unit body would be able to accomodate the truck/mech swing)

I would reccomend reaching for the newer central motor version over the older ones without hesitation.
(and, having just checked, I currently roster a fleet of something like 10 of these locos, spanning the original late 1980's "phase 1" production run thru current "DCC equipped" versions). 

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Powered truck, centre motor, and the newest type with a slightly different worm and mounting:

post-6819-0-08607400-1439545145_thumb.jpg

and this was my original Steeplecab, using the AMB lowering kit that turns the motors horizontally so they fit within the shorter Steeplecab hoods. I built this before measuring the real 298, and is dimensionally wrong in quite a few areas.

post-6819-0-24569800-1439545960.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Unless the modelling project in-question specifically calls for:

- a single 4-wheel power truck

(in which case, reccomend looking at the Black Beetle or Stanton power truck)

- a pair of 4-wheel power trucks mounted sooo close together as to make a central motor impossible

(again, look the to the BBs or Stanton)

- or a 44-tonner-length B-B mech which needs to turn tighter than 15"

(in which case, we're probably talking a boxcab body, because no hood-unit body would be able to accomodate the truck/mech swing)

Prof Klyzlr

Hi Prof,

You have hit the nail on the head....

I want the older, powered bogies for exactly the scenarios you have given.

Using the AMB lowering kit (as Andy has shown) enables the powered bogies to fit under the steeple cab hoods and still make the tight turns.

I was also thinking of using them in the same way for a UK outline unit as they also fit under the floor of that model.

The current chassis with it's circuit board does not fit under the steeple cab hoods, but it would fit under a box cab though! (another thought enters my mind)

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I have a few of the older ones. I'll look around if you want. Your only problem is that I would be shipping them from Brooklyn, NY.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the thought - much appreciated

Just hate to think about the mailing cost plus UK customs costs!

Thanks

Phil - if you are thinking about a boxcab you should look at Reinhards thread here  http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8378.

A Bachmann Underground Ernie will fit under a boxcab - It's what I used on E 149th Street, but youll need to add a plasticard fitment to mount the chassis . It also needs the moving eyes mech removing and only drives on one bogie - though it picks up from both

• RMweb Gold

Phil - if you are thinking about a boxcab you should look at Reinhards thread here  http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8378.

A Bachmann Underground Ernie will fit under a boxcab - It's what I used on E 149th Street, but youll need to add a plasticard fitment to mount the chassis . It also needs the moving eyes mech removing and only drives on one bogie - though it picks up from both

Hello Jack,

Funny you should mention Box Cab....

The newer Bachmann 44t chassis will fit underneath without too much modification.

and Underground Ernie as well....

One of the other Scottish Modellers has one and I asked to look at the power unit with a view to putting it into one of these:-

post-6887-0-70852000-1439582928.jpg

But that will have to wait until I am earning money again!

Thanks

I'd forgotten how adaptable the UE chassis are once mounted in a new plasticard frame, although I remotored from the cheap Bachmann one to a Mashima 1220 or 1224.

post-6819-0-17122200-1439589763_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-39805900-1439589823_thumb.jpg

The drive shafts are from Australia, the longer motor screws are from Vietnam, the motor is Japanese, the Bachmann chassis bits are Chinese, the 3d printed sideframe spacers are from the Netherlands, and the kit and brass sideframes American (although it's anyone's guess where the wood is from).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andi,

It is all your fault!

Yes - my idea for using the UE power components came about because I had seen your way of doing it.

The other way I thought about was using:-

Hodl Linie 8 69000 Motorised Unit for Tram 12VDC with 8 Pin Decoder Socket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hodl-Linie-8-69000-Motorised-Unit-for-Tram-12VDC-with-8-Pin-Decoder-Socket-/252031363987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aae3d6b93

But changed my mind at the overall expense of doing it this way.

So - Back to Bachmann and the GE 44T Switcher power units in a custom made plastic chassis.

Also found this lot:-

https://sites.google.com/site/elrokits/home/b06-us-kits

Which makes for interesting viewing (do explore more than the stuff on the link)

Thanks

Archived