Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pre-Grouping Railways formally Furness Railway Wagon Co

MarcD

With the Gauge 0 Guild's Telford GuildEx15 show quickly coming upon us we now have a good idea what new kits we have coming out and what should be coming out  between GuildEx and Reading in December. Also I have listed what we have currently in development for 2016 

For Telford

S&DJR 2-4-0T

TVR/GWR/BR Mink

GNR/NBR/LNER/BR Gunpowder Van

Furness/LMS/BR 3 plank open

Furness/LMS 10ton Hopper

GWR/BR Mink

GWR/BR Fruit Van

GWR/BR Mica B

GWR/GER Grounded van body

HR grounded coach body

Brick Privy

GWR lamp Hut

The following kits might be ready for Telford if etches arrive in time

LNWR/LMS/BR 0-4-2PT

NER/LNER H2/J79 0-6-0T (407)

LSWR/SR/BR 2-4-0WT (Build both round and square splasher versions) and later rebuilds 

LSWR/SR 4 wheel Brake end

LSWR/SR 4 wheel All 3rd

LSWR/SR 4 wheel all 1st

LSWR/SR 6 wheel Comp

NER/LNER 6 wheel All 3rd

NER/LNER 6 Wheel Lug 3rd

NER/LNER 6 Wheel Lav 3rd

NER/LNER 6 wheel Brake 3rd

NER/LNER 6 Lav Comp

NER/LNER 6 Lug Comp

S&DJR/LMS 10ton Brake

LSWR/SR/BR 1 plank open

LSWR/SR Insulated van

G&SWR/LMS/BR 20ton Hopper

Lyme Regis/Radstock Goods Shed

Wool (LSWR) wooden station building

In development

NER/LNER/BR (Class P/J24) 0-6-0

NER/LNER/BR (Class L/J73) 0-6-0T

NER/LNER (Class A/F8) 2-4-2T

NER/LNER (Class G/D23) 2-4-0/4-4-0

NER/LNER (Class 59/J22) 0-6-0

LSWR/SR/BR 4-4-2T

PD&SWR/LSWR/SR/BR 0-6-2T

GER/LNER/BR J69 0-6-0T  

LYR/LMS/BR 0-4-0ST

Barry/GWR (Class G) 0-4-4T

GWR/BR Class 1361

Edited by MarcD
Change of business name
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this doesn't sound to much like a rant.

We have had a really great Telford this year, even though we didn't get most of out new stock to the show for one reason or an other. We met a lot of old friends and some new ones

What as really got me was the number of people who said your stuff is to far north. If I had a pound for every person who said that at shows I would be a very rich man. If we were a new company I could some what understand if there was some mix up over the name but we have been in the business since 1999 and we have had products in at least 2 GOG gazettes every year since then, but sill we get told that "I don't model Furness, its too far north!".

We have over 100 prototypes in the range with geographic distribution from Cornwall to Norfolk and from Wick to Kent with all stops in between. Yes we do sell some Furness Railway prototypes but we have more S&DJR prototypes than Furness ones.    

Any suggestions on how to go about educating people that if a company has a geographical area in its name does not mean that the company only manufactures prototypes from that location, would be more than welcome!

The current list of companies that we manufacture prototypes for is:-

Barry

Caledonian

Cambrian 

Col. Stephens

East and West Yorkshire Union

Furness

Glasgow & South Western

Great Central

Great Eastern

Great North of Scotland

Great Northern

Great Western

Highland

Lancashire Derbyshire and East Coast

Lancashire and Yorkshire

London Brighton South Coast

London North Western

London South Western

Midland

North Sunderland

Plymouth Devonport & South West Junction  

Rhymney

Somerset & Dorset Joint

South East Chatham

Taff Vale

North British

North Eastern

As well as private owner wagons and other kits for industrial use

Marc    

I hope this doesn't sound to much like a rant.

We have had a really great Telford this year, even though we didn't get most of out new stock to the show for one reason or an other. We met a lot of old friends and some new ones

What as really got me was the number of people who said your stuff is to far north. If I had a pound for every person who said that at shows I would be a very rich man. If we were a new company I could some what understand if there was some mix up over the name but we have been in the business since 1999 and we have had products in at least 2 GOG gazettes every year since then, but sill we get told that "I don't model Furness, its too far north!".

We have over 100 prototypes in the range with geographic distribution from Cornwall to Norfolk and from Wick to Kent with all stops in between. Yes we do sell some Furness Railway prototypes but we have more S&DJR prototypes than Furness ones.    

Any suggestions on how to go about educating people that if a company has a geographical area in its name does not mean that the company only manufactures prototypes from that location, would be more than welcome!

The current list of companies that we manufacture prototypes for is:-

Barry

Caledonian

Cambrian 

Col. Stephens

East and West Yorkshire Union

Furness

Glasgow & South Western

Great Central

Great Eastern

Great North of Scotland

Great Northern

Great Western

Highland

Lancashire Derbyshire and East Coast

Lancashire and Yorkshire

London Brighton South Coast

London North Western

London South Western

Midland

North Sunderland

Plymouth Devonport & South West Junction  

Rhymney

Somerset & Dorset Joint

South East Chatham

Taff Vale

North British

North Eastern

As well as private owner wagons and other kits for industrial use

Marc    

Marc,

It's not my place to tell you how to run your business, but you have asked for feedback.......

This may sound obvious, and will probably not be what you wish to hear, but if the name of your business is creating a barrier to successful marketing, and you say you have many experiences which support that view, then maybe it would be worth changing it?

You might be proud of your region and you may feel that after 15 years you have become 'attached' to the name, but you have to face facts. Potential customers are telling you they do not not even get past the name to see what you have to offer. You can fix that. You may find it more difficult to change peoples attitudes. 

Kind regards,

Paul

We have had a lot of feed back over the years. 99% of customers have said that we shouldn't change the name as its what they have known for some time.

I have come across a number of facts from some of the people passing by the stand at shows.

1, All pre-grouping wagons were scraped at 00:01 Jan 1st 1923 and all grouping wagons faced the same fate in 1947 when the 16ton mineral wagon replaced all other wagons.

2, Only company owned wagons were able to be used on company owned track ie GWR wagons never left the GWR and no other company's wagons were allowed on the GWR.

3, wagons based in the south would fall into a crevasse north of Watford if they were sent north and equally those based in the north would fall in the same hole if they went south.

4, the world is flat

5, Elvis and John Lennon are currently running our local pub.

I'm not sure about some of these so I could be wrong but I have been assured by Elvis and John that they 100% fact

Marc

• Like 1

I don't think it is the name so much as the fact that no one has heard of the range of products. Even the posts above do not make the most of the potential awareness.

OK I know that generally RMWeb members or 'management' are not in favour of blatant advertising but other suppliers have found a way. For example I have not seen (or remember seeing) any of your products being used in topics by members (your potential customers). I am a Gauge 0 Guild member but have not seen (or it didn't hit its target) in the Gazette. I also go to Reading almost every year but again, I am a bit more embarrassed to admit, I missed you at each one. So something is not working.

I'll be first to admit that RMWeb or the Gauge 0 Guild does not cover all 7mm modellers but if Gauge 0 Guild is considered a platform to advance your products then surely RMWeb should be as well? Is there none of your customers on here who could post images and remark on a product?

I'm still embarrassed that I have not heard of you as I thought I had covered most kit suppliers but then I have just had to google a link to your website. (again amazed you have not included it in your post above) http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/furness for others to see. My comment on that is that there could be more detail - I didn't even know they/some/all were of brass without reading deeper and having your kit number at the start of a title line rather than the name of the kit may not be attractive to a customer or a search engine. When I look for a kit (I build for all regions and all eras) I am looking first for the name of the wagon - only when I am about to place an order do I need to know your catalogue number. I also know that hosting and maintaining a web site is not easy (or cheap) but is a 'directory' the best?

Still now I have at least heard of you I'll look out at Reading.

[Ed] Just looking at those web pages I came across http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/furness/kit/411 a very likely purchase as I know of someone who would probably want me to add that to his collection of Z2s (Scorpio Kit) and Z1s (WEP Kits) that I have built for him - though your Z1 must be pretty special at £55 to compare to the WEP kit at £45 and Scorpio kit at £30 !

Edited by Kenton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't seen the web directory before and the range is broader than I'd realized with some useful Scottish items such as GNSR brake van, but being out of the UK for a while Ive not seen them at a show for some time. Is there an uptodate list? Hope to catch them next year..

Dava

Dava,

I haven't up dated the website for a while but I do have a PDF catalogue that I can email you. its to big to attach. Also I post photos of all the new stock on the galleries section of RMweb.

Marc 

Also I post photos of all the new stock on the galleries section of RMweb.

Just a note: I'm not sure many on here 'follow' the galleries section (I'm not even sure it can be 'followed' as such.)

As I indicated this was the first time I have come across you - and it has nothing to do with the name (which as far as I am concerned is irrelevant). I only use RMWeb and only browse the forums (most days).

I am surprised that your pdf file is too large. If it is simply hosted why not just provide a link. (if it is hosted correctly the file should download from the link. A free catalogue does help to spread the word.

The only thing I find annoying about your product/range/company is your salesmanship skills is that I called by your stand at Guildex just to be nosey about the new products and came away with a wagon kit. You're a danger to my wallet!

Personally, I'm happy that I know who you are, what you sell and how to find it. I usually find out about new products through the G0G Gazette.

Just remember, you can't make anything completely idiot proof...

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 year later...

As promised. We (Furness Wagon Co/Pre-grouping Railways) are going to be launching of new range of 7mm Narrow gauge kits.  

The first four kits are

• ​Talyllyn 2 bar slate wagon. 3D printed chassis and top with a brass floor and end strapping.
  • Talyllyn 3 bar slate wagon. 3D printed chassis and top with a brass floor.
  • Talyllyn 3 plank open. Totally 3D printed
  • Talyllyn 4 plank open. Totally 3D printed  

The 3D models just need their couplings and wheels . These will be include in the kit but are not shown in the pictures

The next wagons to be done are the Talyllyn iron bodied wagons.

• Gunpowder van.
  • Incline wagon.
  • Tapered side.
  • Parallel side without top strapping.
  • Parallel side with top strapping. 

These will have 3D printed chassis and etched brass tops.

post-13539-0-67078600-1500236154.jpg

post-13539-0-05020400-1500236171.jpg

post-13539-0-66451300-1500236200.jpg

post-13539-0-87845900-1500236212.jpg

• Like 2

What happened to the 4mm wagon kits that were due for production early last year?

We are having issues with the thickness of the parts when we came to print them. Producing the tops of the wagons was not a problem but axle boxes and springs are on the edge of what we can produce in 7mm and are just not printable in 4mm. We have moved to 3D printed parts since the chap who does my white metal casting has had to retire. With 3D printing technology improving so when I can actually print small enough for 4mm I will be putting the kits out.

marc

Marc,

Why not include the information in your profile signature? For example:

RMWeb - what's new at Furness Wagon Co (Blog) http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php%3F/blog/962-whats-new-at-furness-wagon-co

An expanding range of pre-Grouping railway models from Furness Wagon Co. https://pregroupingrailways.com/

Easy answer I don't know how do it. I'm a bit of a luddite.

MArc

In the bar at the top of each page at the right hand end is your forum name - Furness Wagon - with a little down arrow next to it.

Click on that and a pop-up menu appears. From that select 'my profile' and a new page appears.

At the right hand side above your profile summary is a black box labelled 'edit my profile' - click on that and a further new page appears.

There is a column to the left with the third entry down titled 'signature' - click on that and the page you need now appears.

Edit your signature into the box in the same way as you write a new post or reply to an earlier one. You can change the font, colour, size and so on using the editing tools in the bar above in exactly the same way.

If you wish you can outline the text using the mouse and 'copy' my suggestion above (but copy it before you move away from this page!) and then paste it into the signature box to get you going.

Once you are happy click on the black box 'save changes' at the bottom of the page and it's done. When the previous page appears with your profile, having saved the changes, just select 'forum index' at the top left hand of the page and you'll be back at the top level.

Every time you change your signature it is automatically changed right across the forum, including all previous posts.

In the bar at the top of each page at the right hand end is your forum name - Furness Wagon - with a little down arrow next to it.

Click on that and a pop-up menu appears. From that select 'my profile' and a new page appears.

At the right hand side above your profile summary is a black box labelled 'edit my profile' - click on that and a further new page appears.

There is a column to the left with the third entry down titled 'signature' - click on that and the page you need now appears.

Edit your signature into the box in the same way as you write a new post or reply to an earlier one. You can change the font, colour, size and so on using the editing tools in the bar above in exactly the same way.

If you wish you can outline the text using the mouse and 'copy' my suggestion above (but copy it before you move away from this page!) and then paste it into the signature box to get you going.

Once you are happy click on the black box 'save changes' at the bottom of the page and it's done. When the previous page appears with your profile, having saved the changes, just select 'forum index' at the top left hand of the page and you'll be back at the top level.

Every time you change your signature it is automatically changed right across the forum, including all previous posts.

Thanks for the instructions once I started it was easy.

Marc

• MarcD changed the title to Pre-Grouping Railways formally Furness Railway Wagon Co
Posted (edited)

I managed to loose this thread found it again. 

If people haven't noticed we have changed the business name in order to better reflect the focus of the product range. 

If you haven't visited the online shop check out pregroupingrailways.com

Products are now available in all scales from 2mm up to G3.

Marc Dobson

Pre-Grouping Railways 

Edited by MarcD

2 minutes ago, MarcD said:

I managed to loose this thread found it again. 

If people haven't noticed we have changed the business name in order to better reflect the focus of the product range. 

If you haven't visited the online shop check out pregropingrailways.com

Products are now available in all scales from 2mm up to G3.

Marc Dobson

Pre-Grouping Railways 

Just to let you know, you're missing a letter "u" in your link:

https://pregroupingrailways.com/

Unless I receive the delivery of etches I ordered this week I will be carrying a limited amount of stock at scalefour Crewe. So if you are after anything in particular please contact me by Thursday so I can put it aside for you.
Marc Dobson
Pre-Grouping Railways
www.pregroupingrailways.com
Email: furnessrailway@hotmail.com
Tel: 01229219875