recommendation of best analog controller

"Yeah, that noisy thing."

I'm not at all sure that my good lady really wishes to spend all day pushing toy trains along the track at my instruction. And, I should make clear: she only gets noisy when I seriously annoy her.

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Funny 1

• 6 years later...
On 20/08/2015 at 21:41, Silver Sidelines said:

I had an H&M Duette for many years.  However it had wire wound rheostats which wore through and made the unit inoperable.

I then bought a number of Gaugemaster units, first D (simple twins) and later DS (with brake simuator).  I am guessing that these have carbon rheostats and in my opinion are far superior to the earlier H&M design.

Noise may be an issue.  My early Gaugemaster controllers - the ones in big square boxes - were very quiet.  My newer controllers - shaped a bit like an upright piano - tend to produce quite a lot of 'mains hum'.  It would be interesting to hear what other people think.

Ray

On 21/08/2015 at 09:39, Metr0Land said:

Same here.  Recently had to pension off the H&M Duette.  Very pleased with the Gaugemaster DS overall - esp slow speed control, but the hum definitely louder than Duette.

I recently bought a brand new Gaugemaster DS but returned it due to the excessive mains hum.  

Although the control of the locos is excellent, the humming noise from the DS was louder than I'm used to. I would say it was about 3 to 4 times louder than the humming noise from all of my old controllers ( H&M Duette, Minitrol, and very old Gaugemaster that stopped working).
I could hear the humming from the new GM DS 14 feet away (in a quiet room).   My old controllers the humming is only audible from about 3 feet away.
The humming from the DS was louder than the locos when they were running up to about 1/3 speed but of course I'm sat right next to the controller and the loco is further away.
I'm not saying the humming was very loud, but was not as quiet as my old controllers.

I tried to put up with this humming but it was really irritating having the humming in my ears while having trains running.  So I decided to return it for a refund.  I didn't contact retailer or GM as it looks like the humming must be considered within acceptable parameters, but it's too loud for me.

And why are the knobs so small these days?
A larger size knob to get a good grip is better I find.
The GM DCC Prodigy controllers have a nice good sized knob, so why not on the DC controllers?

Back to the drawing board choosing a new controller!

Perhaps I would be better getting a panel mounted GM and separate transformer.
At least I can put the transformer behind a cupboard or something if the humming is too much!
Does anyone have experience of the separate GM transformers? Are they quiet?

I normally use a H&M Duette (on High Resistance, Full Wave settings only) which is very good, but it gets very warm to the touch so may be getting to end of life?
I do have some old Compspeeds but they are feedback only and some motors make a little more noise (but not excessive) on slow speeds and I need new transformers for them anyway.
I also have an old Minitrol which works well, but it's feedback so prefer not to use as like the Compspeeds some motors make a little more noise (but not excessive) on slow speeds.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, NewSiding said:

I recently bought a brand new Gaugemaster DS but returned it due to the excessive mains hum.  

Well done, I have never had the courage  (to send back).  Now I am guessing that you are talking about the latest 'piano' type controller as I seem to think that these are more prone to 'hum' than the earlier boxy type.

I have had a number of Gaugemaster DS units some more noisy than others.  I believe these units have a lifetime guarentee which I have had to use on one occasion when something must have come unsoldered.  However the repaired unit was posted back with a very noticeable scratch to the top of the casing - it was not a happy experience.

That hum - sometimes it seems to be amplified when the side casing is in partial contact with the folded top (with the knobs on).  I have successfully reduced the volume by fiddling with the folded top and making sure that it is not resting on the shaped yellow sides.

Good luck  Ray

yes that's correct, it was indeed the new 'piano' type.

Good to hear you managed to reduce the noise a bit.

Absolutely, I got a good hit on the search without too much effort.  

I was about to start a new thread in the Gaugemaster section asking if anyone else had noticed the humming and blow me, this thread came up in a search.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1