ActiveDrive Sounds from Digitrains

Digitrainer

Hi all, 

We've had a lot of demand to upload videos demonstrating our sounds over the years. Well, we've finally got round to it and here they are! I thought I would compile them all into one topic so they're all in one place. These videos include the new ActiveDrive Zimo sounds from Paul Chetter, and are all completely new soundfiles - not upgrades. We hope you all enjoy! 

The first video is a quick demonstration of the Class 20 and exhibits the new braking and dynamic inertia features, which is the ZS20A. 

The next video involves two locos - again, the Class 20, with the Class 26. The Class 26 is an all-new soundfile with all-new features. 

Thank you for watching!

Georgia
Digitrains 

Afternoon, folks!

Here is a video of the Class 26 all by its lonesome, displaying the shift in sound from "engine only" to the sound of the engine in forward or reverse position on the driver's desk. You can really hear the distinct change in the idle as the load is taken by the main generator, resulting in a busier tickover. However, when it is sat idle, the ticksover is quieter in the background. 

Thank you for watching!

Georgia
Digitrains 

Afternoon, folks!

Here is a video of the Class 26 all by its lonesome, displaying the shift in sound from "engine only" to the sound of the engine in forward or reverse position on the driver's desk. You can really hear the distinct change in the idle as the load is taken by the main generator, resulting in a busier tickover. However, when it is sat idle, the ticksover is quieter in the background. 

Thank you for watching!

Georgia

Digitrains 

Hi Georgia

That 26 sounds most impressive, much better than my present Zimo one !  time for a reblow !  What speaker/s are in this 26 and the 20 ?

Regards

Ken

• RMweb Premium

Is there any great difference between the new ActiveDrive Sound and the "old" DigiDrive sounds?  And is it possible to fine out which file and version is loaded to an existing decoder?

DT

Is there any great difference between the new ActiveDrive Sound and the "old" DigiDrive sounds?  And is it possible to fine out which file and version is loaded to an existing decoder?

DT

DT

My Zimo 26 has the DigiDrive E V2.1 fitted and to my ears this new ActiveDrive version sounds much better with the added dynamic braking/inertia features/change in idling prior to moving off etc etc.  Your decoder User notes should confirm what version of decoder you have fitted.

Failing that I'm sure Paul Chetter will be along and advise how to check the decoder file version

Ken

DT

My Zimo 26 has the DigiDrive E V2.1 fitted and to my ears this new ActiveDrive version sounds much better with the added dynamic braking/inertia features/change in idling prior to moving off etc etc.  Your decoder User notes should confirm what version of decoder you have fitted.

Failing that I'm sure Paul Chetter will be along and advise how to check the decoder file version

Ken

Ken's correct.

ActiveDrive projects have new recordings and new controls.The users notes will tell you. They are only available from Digitrains.

The easy way is to run your loco and press F2. if you hear a horn sound, it's not an ActiveDrive. If you hear brakes sounds, and the loco ACTUALLY slows down, like a real loco does when the brakes are applied, then it's an ActiveDrive.

There are a number of other new, genuinely dynamic features. ie not just sound changes labled 'dynamic' but real changes in the way the loco accelerates and decelerates depending upon how you operate the throttle. You'll have to drive one to appreciate what's on offer.

Kind regards,

Paul

Ken's correct.

ActiveDrive projects have new recordings and new controls.The users notes will tell you. They are only available from Digitrains.

The easy way is to run your loco and press F2. if you hear a horn sound, it's not an ActiveDrive. If you hear brakes sounds, and the loco ACTUALLY slows down, like a real loco does when the brakes are applied, then it's an ActiveDrive.

There are a number of other new, genuinely dynamic features. ie not just sound changes labled 'dymamic' but real changes in the way the loco accelerates and decelerates depending upon how you operate the throttle. You'll have to drive one to appreciate what's on offer.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi.

Is the pressing of F2 linked to the duration of the braking sound?

ie if F2 is held on, does the braking sound continue and the loco continue to slow until stopped?

Cheers

Dave

Hi.

Is the pressing of F2 linked to the duration of the braking sound?

ie if F2 is held on, does the braking sound continue and the loco continue to slow until stopped?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the enquiry.

Yes, that's more or less correct*, assuming you are driving your model as a driver of a real loco would do. Like I said, as a real loco brake will work.

If you dab the brakes, there is only a small brake force applied, if you hold it on longer the brake force increases exponetially/progressively. 'Latched-on' gives the effect of emergency braking i.e. full on. This still operates to rapidly slow the loco (oh, and the brakeforce is adjustable by the user so you can have good brakes or poor at your choice) rather than stopping movement instantly like a layout panic button would. For the scientifically minded amongst you, plotted graphially the brake force applied describes a parabolla, whilst the model's deceleration curve describes an inverse parabolla. (not sure if that term is correct or if I have just coined it).

So that realism is retained in differing circumstances, the brake effectiveness is also automatically adjusted so that a light engine will slow much more abruptly than a heavy train will. The brake force applied changes, and is changed by, the real time dynamic effects which the models exhibit.

Obviously, a poor driver is a poor driver in any scale.........

Kind regards,

Paul

* Of course, when the brakes are at maximim force the brake application sound (as opposed to any brake squeal which only sounds at low speeds) will not continue - that would be just daft - unless the brakes are released and re-applied.

Hi Paul,

I must say, both those classes sound rather excellent!

You mention that "brake effectiveness is automatically adjusted so that a light engine will slow much more abruptly than a heavy train will".

Pardon my ignorance but does this mean that the loco (decoder) 'knows' what train (if any) it is pulling, please? **

Or does the driver/operator have to tell the decoder this information?

Many thanks,

John E.

** I'm assuming the decoder can measure how much current the loco draws, dependant on the weight of the train? (clever stuff!)

Hi Paul,

I must say, both those classes sound rather excellent!

You mention that "brake effectiveness is automatically adjusted so that a light engine will slow much more abruptly than a heavy train will".

Pardon my ignorance but does this mean that the loco (decoder) 'knows' what train (if any) it is pulling, please? **

Or does the driver/operator have to tell the decoder this information?

Many thanks,

John E.

** I'm assuming the decoder can measure how much current the loco draws, dependant on the weight of the train? (clever stuff!)

Hi John,

All ZIMO sound decoders can indeed react to changes in loading, but currently this relates to changing the engine sounds to 'increase power'.

In my ZIMO sound projects I provide the ability to switch in real time (using F5) between a range of settings suited to 'light engine' and those of a 'heavy train'. These will affect the actual sound samples played, so the engine sounds more (or less) busy at the same road speed depending on the F5 selection. However, they also affect the levels of inertia and momentum which apply, so the model accelerates and decelerates more rapidly in light engine configuration. So, the combination makes a 'light engine' loco sound and change speed more responsively, like a real light engine would. (A light engine loco will out accelerate a similar loco with a heavy train on the hook, a heavy train will require maximum power and for longer periods).  

The decoder uses these settings as a basis to calculate the correct braking force depending on many factors, but principally, the mass of the train as advised (like the guard would do before the start of any real journey), the braking force applicable to that class of loco, the efficiency of the brakes (as decided by the user, or as set in the project defaults by me) the duration of the brake application and the actual road speed of the model at the beginning of and during each braking event.

Of course, now that you have brakes to slow you model, you can have realistic levels of momentum so a model of a heavy train 'feels' like it has several hundred tons of mass moving at speed to be controlled. (Experience the 'brown trouser' effect of a runaway train or the result of braking too late. LOL).  

If all this sound too 'immersive' an experience for some, the braking function can be turned off and the model driven like other decoders. (But that would be such a shame, wouldn't it?)

Kind regards,

Paul

Dave,

Thanks for the enquiry.

Yes, that's more or less correct*, assuming you are driving your model as a driver of a real loco would do. Like I said, as a real loco brake will work.

If you dab the brakes, there is only a small brake force applied, if you hold it on longer the brake force increases exponetially/progressively. 'Latched-on' gives the effect of emergency braking i.e. full on. This still operates to rapidly slow the loco (oh, and the brakeforce is adjustable by the user so you can have good brakes or poor at your choice) rather than stopping movement instantly like a layout panic button would. For the scientifically minded amongst you, plotted graphially the brake force applied describes a parabolla, whilst the model's deceleration curve describes an inverse parabolla. (not sure if that term is correct or if I have just coined it).

So that realism is retained in differing circumstances, the brake effectiveness is also automatically adjusted so that a light engine will slow much more abruptly than a heavy train will. The brake force applied changes, and is changed by, the real time dynamic effects which the models exhibit.

Obviously, a poor driver is a poor driver in any scale.........

Kind regards,

Paul

* Of course, when the brakes are at maximim force the brake application sound (as opposed to any brake squeal which only sounds at low speeds) will not continue - that would be just daft - unless the brakes are released and re-applied.

Thanks, Paul.

I see a small problem with NCE controllers.

Buttons 1 -28 are latching, so a quick little brake application is not going to be very easy at all.

Dave

Thanks, Paul.

I see a small problem with NCE controllers.

Buttons 1 -28 are latching, so a quick little brake application is not going to be very easy at all.

Dave

Nice try Dave, but you'll have to do better than that.

The NCE Horn/Whistle button is Momentary and operates whatever is on F2. So in fact, the NCE cab is ideally suited to short 'dabs' on the horn button, and longer, latching applications using the F2 key. 

I've been working to develop this feature with ZIMO for over 18 months; I think I've got it pretty well sorted, but thanks for the advice.

Kind regards,

Paul

Nice try Dave, but you'll have to do better than that.

The NCE Horn/Whistle button is Momentary and operates whatever is on F2. So in fact, the NCE cab is ideally suited to short 'dabs' on the horn button, and longer, latching applications using the F2 key. 

I've been working to develop this feature with ZIMO for over 18 months; I think I've got it pretty well sorted, but thanks for the advice.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul.

I think you read more into this than was intended.

Yes, the Horn button is how you say but the F2 key is, of course, latching.

Dave

Paul.

I think you read more into this than was intended.

Yes, the Horn button is how you say but the F2 key is, of course, latching.

Dave

Dave,

If I gave that impression, then I am sorry. Maybe my sense of humour got in the way in my response.

You suggested there was an operational problem and quoted that on NCE, F1 to F28 keys are 'latching' only. In that, you were correct as far as you explanation went. But you ommitted to point out that 'momentary' action was available for the function or sound (or both) assigned to the actual F2 Key by the use of the Horn/Whistle button.

You obviouly know the NCE system to raise the issue at all. Based on this, some may question the motivation of giving only the part of the information which at first glance supports your assertion of a problem arising.

Nevertheless, I welcome the chance to explain this feature more fully, and the issue you raise is one I specifically addressed during the design phase.

Most (All?) US designed systems allow 'momentary' operation on F2. Some may allow the choice of latching or momentary on F2, or one additional F key (Digitrax). But the majority are fixed as latching.

In contrast, most European designs, including Hornby's Elite, Bachmann's Dynamis, ECoS, Lenz, Roco and ZIMO MX1 and MX10 systems allow the user to select momentary or latching to be assigned to any F key.

The use of momentary operation is pertinent to convenient use of many different sounds and some functions (and frankly, it's about time that NCE etc brought their systems into line with convenient sound project controlling), but is, as you rightly pointed out, critical to the prototypical operation of a braking feature which does actually represent prototypical braking both in sound and by progressively adding a deceleration force.

It was a difficult choice to 'use up' the only 'momentary' trigger for the brake function over the horn/whistle, but I test my projects on a wide range of controllers to ensure the most widespread compatability as possible. For me, the need for momentary action on the brakes trumps any other existing use, and that explains my decision to use F2.

Now, NCE have chosen to provide an additional key which duplicates the action of F2 (so if it's not on F2, this button will not operate the sound or function). Whilst the actual F2 key remains 'latching' in its use, the additional button (labelled Horn/Whistle) operates in a 'momentary' mode. So, far from being the small difficulty you suggested, the NCE hand set gives far greater flexibility (for just one function) in that an operator can choose to use either key, depending upon whether momentary (horn button) or latching action (F2 Key). I accept that pressing a button marked Horn to apply brakes at first looks odd, but in practice that is soon forgotten when you see how the model responds.

Included in the extensive 'User Notes', which accompany all my projects, is a specific reference to the action of NCE F2 key and Horn button with regards to the Brake Key function. You don't even have to buy a decoder to read these notes, Digitrains publish them on their website.

As a point of interest, other projects with progressive working brakes include 8F, Black 5, Heljan's Beyer Garratt, Class 08, Class 35, Class 37 ActiveDrive versions from Digitrains and Class 47s (DRS and Northern Belle pair) from RAIL EXCLUSIVE. Readers of Hornby Magazine, regular users of my ZIMO projects and those who subscribe to my newsletter will know all of this stuff already.

ZIMO sound projects are available from other sources, but not all sound projects are created equal.

Kind regards,

Paul

edited to correct 'latching' for 'momentary' in one instance above.

Dave,

If I gave that impression, then I am sorry. Maybe my sense of humour got in the way in my response.

You suggested there was an operational problem and quoted that on NCE, F1 to F28 keys are 'latching' only. In that, you were correct as far as you explanation went. But you ommitted to point out that 'momentary' action was available for the function or sound (or both) assigned to the actual F2 Key by the use of the Horn/Whistle button.

You obviouly know the NCE system to raise the issue at all. Based on this, some may question the motivation of giving only the part of the information which at first glance supports your assertion of a problem arising.

Nevertheless, I welcome the chance to explain this feature more fully, and the issue you raise is one I specifically addressed during the design phase.

Most (All?) US designed systems allow 'momentary' operation on F2. Some may allow the choice of latching or momentary on F2, or one additional F key (Digitrax). But the majority are fixed as latching.

In contrast, most European designs, including Hornby's Elite, Bachmann's Dynamis, ECoS, Lenz, Roco and ZIMO MX1 and MX10 systems allow the user to select momentary or latching to be assigned to any F key.

The use of momentary operation is pertinent to convenient use of many different sounds and some functions (and frankly, it's about time that NCE etc brought their systems into line with convenient sound project controlling), but is, as you rightly pointed out, critical to the prototypical operation of a braking feature which does actually represent prototypical braking both in sound and by progressively adding a deceleration force.

It was a difficult choice to 'use up' the only 'momentary' trigger for the brake function over the horn/whistle, but I test my projects on a wide range of controllers to ensure the most widespread compatability as possible. For me, the need for momentary action on the brakes trumps any other existing use, and that explains my decision to use F2.

Now, NCE have chosen to provide an additional key which duplicates the action of F2 (so if it's not on F2, this button will not operate the sound or function). Whilst the actual F2 key remains 'latching' in its use, the additional button (labelled Horn/Whistle) operates in a 'momentary' mode. So, far from being the small difficulty you suggested, the NCE hand set gives far greater flexibility (for just one function) in that an operator can choose to use either key, depending upon whether momentary (horn button) or latching action (F2 Key). I accept that pressing a button marked Horn to apply brakes at first looks odd, but in practice that is soon forgotten when you see how the model responds.

Included in the extensive 'User Notes', which accompany all my projects, is a specific reference to the action of NCE F2 key and Horn button with regards to the Brake Key function. You don't even have to buy a decoder to read these notes, Digitrains publish them on their website.

As a point of interest, other projects with progressive working brakes include 8F, Black 5, Heljan's Beyer Garratt, Class 08, Class 35, Class 37 ActiveDrive versions from Digitrains and Class 47s (DRS and Northern Belle pair) from RAIL EXCLUSIVE. Readers of Hornby Magazine, regular users of my ZIMO projects and those who subscribe to my newsletter will know all of this stuff already.

ZIMO sound projects are available from other sources, but not all sound projects are created equal.

Kind regards,

Paul

edited to correct 'latching' for 'momentary' in one instance above.

Thanks for that, Paul.

Cheers

Dave

Paul,

ive made changes to 26043s fuel system which resolves the dull thud on tickover...let me know if you want to come down and record again?

Hi phaeton,

Are you suggesting another new Class 26 project, or to add a feature which gives users the option to have the 'idle with dull thud' or the 'thud resolved' idle? Lol.

I don't think there are enough Fkeys left unused.

I've sent you a PM.

Kind regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

I think the idling sounds pretty much as many of the loco's did in BR days, at least from what I remember. After all, how many of the locos sounded in tip-top condition in those days

Which reminds me the Class 27s were actually the Type 2's monickered "tip-tops" by enthusiasts (due to distinctive sound whilst idling)!

If there is a need for a new project on Zimo it would be the Class 27 - I don't think anyone else has done a project on Zimo yet for these. Perhaps D5401 at GC South is beckoning for a recording session....

Cheers

Paul

Hello Paul,

I think the idling sounds pretty much as many of the loco's did in BR days, at least from what I remember. After all, how many of the locos sounded in tip-top condition in those days

Which reminds me the Class 27s were actually the Type 2's monickered "tip-tops" by enthusiasts (due to distinctive sound whilst idling)!

If there is a need for a new project on Zimo it would be the Class 27 - I don't think anyone else has done a project on Zimo yet for these. Perhaps D5401 at GC South is beckoning for a recording session....

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've got new recordings of all the type 2 Sulzer engined classes, just need 48 hours in a day now to compile the sound projects.

They will all have at least the same ActiveDrive features as the Class 26, and who knows, maybe more........ Watch this space.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

It seems that at present Digitrains are offering Classes 08, 20, 26, 35 and 47 with ActiveDrive.  No 8F or Black 5 as yet - are these to come?

DT

It seems that at present Digitrains are offering Classes 08, 20, 26, 35 and 47 with ActiveDrive.  No 8F or Black 5 as yet - are these to come?

DT

The projects are completed. I have no control over what Digitrains do.

They may not be listed on their website - always worth asking if you don't see a specific listing for the item you need.

(or maybe I've not sent them yet, Lol).

Paul

Archived