Last 9F hauled Tyne Dock to Consett Iron Ore train

johndon

I know that the last 9F hauled iron ore train to Consett ran on 19 November 1966 behind 92063 but what I've not been able to confirm is which loco banked the train from South Pelaw Junction.

I know it was a Type 4 (later Class 40) as I have a photo of the whole train but there is no way to identify the loco - If I had to guess I'd say it was D242 based out of Gateshead as it was certainly used as a banker on the line, can anyone confirm this?

John

• 2 months later...

Checked my records. D242 was banking on 14th October 66 certainly, but if my memory serves me they used to change the Type 4 every two weeks or so. Others used about that time were D251, D259, and D281. I have D274 banking 92064 on 2 November 1966 so it might be the one.

Late October there was a fabulous reminder of the old days when 9Fs 92063/4 did the ore train together, possibly to see if they were up to doing the last train. Sadly this didn't work out and a Type 4 was used.

I watched literally hundreds of ore trains pass through Beamish between 1959 and 1970 and towards the end of steam the 'banking' type 4 diesel was practically pushing the whole load!  

Dave Milburn

Archived