Steam Locos in use on BR in the 1980s - Renumbering

Good afternoon,

I am planning to model a number of locos that were used on the Scarborough Spa Express as they appeared in the early to mid 1980s (livery, number etc) and I am looking for advice on what currently available RTR locos could be used as the source locos. My research has shown that none of the locos that I wish to model are currently available in the correct guise but as I am no expert on steam locos I may have missed something.

First is 46229 Duchess of Hamilton  - could I use the current Hornby model R3241 46236 City of Bradford? It looks correct but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything obvious.

Second is 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley - what existing RTR model (DCC Ready) could I use? At this time I believe the loco had LNER on its tender, had no farings and had red wheels.

Third is 777 Sir Lamiel -  Would Hornby R3010 771 Sir Sagramore suit?

Finally, 34092 City of Wells. I realise Hornby released this exact loco in 2011 (I think) but short of finding it on eBay I'd rather renumber a suitable curent model. Would 34001 Exeter suit?

I hope this makes sense and that I've posted in the best area.

Many thanks in anticipation of the usual expert advice.

Chris

Good afternoon,

I am planning to model a number of locos that were used on the Scarborough Spa Express as they appeared in the early to mid 1980s (livery, number etc) and I am looking for advice on what currently available RTR locos could be used as the source locos. My research has shown that none of the locos that I wish to model are currently available in the correct guise but as I am no expert on steam locos I may have missed something.

First is 46229 Duchess of Hamilton  - could I use the current Hornby model R3241 46236 City of Bradford? It looks correct but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything obvious.

Second is 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley - what existing RTR model (DCC Ready) could I use? At this time I believe the loco had LNER on its tender, had no farings and had red wheels.

Third is 777 Sir Lamiel -  Would Hornby R3010 771 Sir Sagramore suit?

Finally, 34092 City of Wells. I realise Hornby released this exact loco in 2011 (I think) but short of finding it on eBay I'd rather renumber a suitable curent model. Would 34001 Exeter suit?

I hope this makes sense and that I've posted in the best area.

Many thanks in anticipation of the usual expert advice.

Chris

I think City of Bradford would make an ideal donor for Duchess of Hamilton. See link, showing the tender in 1985:

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/British-Mainline-Steam/i-wRDgsDm

Having looked at Hattons, I noticed the tender on City of Bradford has the extend fairings (from streamlined days) and a ladder.

See links to City of Bradford & City of Liverpool for tender differences:

http://www.ehattons.com/69500/Hornby_R3241_Class_8P_Duchess_4_6_2_46236_City_Of_Bradford_in_BR_Maroon_with_late_crest/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/60212/Hornby_R3195_Class_8P_Duchess_4_6_2_46247_City_Of_Liverpool_BR_green_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Be careful with 34092 City of Wells, the Hornby model has a high sided tender which I believe is correct in it's earlier years in BR service and as recently returned to service.  At Barry and during it's first (1980s) period running in preservation the tender had cutdown sides.

There may be a better starting point in the Hornby range, but I'm not familiar enough with the Hornby WC range to say which one.

[Edit after a bit of googling] - Looks like the 34091 Weymouth or 34107 Blandford Forum models may be the only near matches for 34092 in the 80s.

Martin

Archived