Decided to start a new layout

tamperman36

Well work on the canal layout ground to a halt due to a lack of materials and shortage of finances. After spending several weeks looking at the stalled project and after a friend passed on some old layout boards for salvage I found myself looking at some spare timber and a small amount of code 100 track and points. The idea hit me to use this and build a small exhibition layout. It measures 6 foot long by 18 inches wide and includes a small fiddle yard within that footprint. I already had the leg unit built from a previous project which unfortunately got scrapped. The track plan has a single road terminal station and a small yard with a small plant/ wagon maintenance depot leading off it. The depot will have a single road building containing a pit, a fuel point and an external area with overhead crane. The yard area will be a small track maintenance yard with some

vehicles and equipment laying around and some offices. The whole layout will be set in an urban environment with the backscene and low relief buildings helping to set the scene. It will be based around the end of BR and beginning of privatisation period so I can use a good mixture of stock and liveries. Hope you will like it and keep checking this thread to see how the project is going.

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent a good few hours going over the recycled track and trying out where to position it all I was finally happy with the end result, so decided to make a start and get the track pinned down. Once all the track was down I just had to carry on and get it running so I spent another couple of days wiring and testing. The result is I now have all the track down and running, I tested it with a class 08 at a slow speed and it didn't stall on any pointwork so I can now carry on and start the scenic work.post-13362-0-29513700-1441626013_thumb.jpgpost-13362-0-76395900-1441626276_thumb.jpg

Now that I have the track down and wired it is time to start the fun part and begin the scenics. I started with the depot building, this only needs to be one end and one side due to where it is positioned on the layout.post-13362-0-16029100-1441739037_thumb.jpgpost-13362-0-91037600-1441739121_thumb.jpg

following on from that I will start with the ballasting.

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks off the net I have not been sat doing nothing. Ive done the ballasting and done some of the scenic partspost-13362-0-79020400-1443131353_thumb.jpg this shows the basic engineers yard which will have some assorted clutter, vehicles and some offices. At the rear is the front of the platform (yet to be built) At the other end of the layout is the depot area. This area is mainly hard standing, however the depot will be fully detailed inside and outpost-13362-0-00718900-1443132771_thumb.jpgpost-13362-0-05892800-1443132981_thumb.jpg Under the office at the end of the depot building is the machine area containing a lathe, pillar drill and grinder, you can also find tool chests and tools hanging on the wall. Outside the depot are old containers used as stores and an old brake van used as a mess roompost-13362-0-71489100-1443133435_thumb.jpg. This is the progress so far, next is to continue on the depot then I will start on the station area.

Archived