BRUTAL LONDON paper structures

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

From time to time I trawl t'internet for structures which may, one day, adorn the backscene of my layout.  A couple of weeks ago one such search led me to:

http://www.zupagrafika.com/home.html

They sell a number of basic paper structure models (and other items with them printed on), those search images showing them held posed before the real thing looked to me quirky enough to be worth pursuing, just one example of many:

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/4b/8d/10/z17357643Q.jpg

Anyhow, my four arrived last week and I'm rather pleased with the print quality, as expected from those search images they're small:

Aylesbury Estate  140mm(l) x 28mm(w) x 94mm(h)

Balfron Tower 130 x 31 x 147

Robin Hood Gardens  155 x 28 x 85

Space House 65(dia.) x 120(h), or 200 long in the flat

post-6883-0-60401700-1441090802_thumb.jpg

There's a very limited amount of colour, entrance areas or some window curtains/blinds, but otherwise nothing of note to detract from their stark nature.

Incorporating into a backscene behind my city endboard I'd resize a couple to suit - Space House could, I think, be used in the flat.

They would go well with my planned Scalescenes Hospital:

post-6883-0-14279400-1441091939.jpg

as previously posted it will look much better than this quickie image but without any prettiness, and my Central Library scenic flat:

post-6883-0-25505900-1441092018.jpg

The Cathedral in this shot is just a placemarker, I intend to it replace with a 'flat' St Chad's Cathedral:

http://www.victorianweb.org/art/architecture/pugin/40.jpg

Which will restore a little colour to that area of the layout :scratchhead:

Regards, Gerry 8)

Love to hate those structures. 

They certainly set a firm background to a quite specific time and place / almost a part of National Consciousness.

Although if they're printed on paper, you could possibly Google / do your own basic artwork and print yourself?

Just a thought - (save a few £££) - although at the same time I'd sort of feel like rewarding them for going out on a limb producing something like this :)

How's your layout Gerry? It pops into my mind from time-to-time.

• RMweb Gold

The Balfron tower resembles the Trellick tower in west London which looms over the GW mainline. (No surprise both designed by Erno Goldfinger) I have powerful memories of class 50s motoring by in the late 80s. The scene being very urban... lots of atmosphere, dirt, grime and social comment. Happy days.

An interesting choice of graffiti on the tapered end of Robin Hood Gardens in the close up shot, "Bankers F### Off." I wonder whether this was just faithfully reproduced from what was there when the design was made?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've now added an update to my layout topic so won't duplicate that here, but with thanks for the input I'll post a few notions here...

I'm quite impressed with that quality of these prints, they've stood up better to resizing than I dared hope.

That's breathtakingly brutal.  

And at another level, St Chads is pretty scary too!

Andrew

St Chad's Cathedral certainly has a certain modernist aspect from the side view, at least the colour will lift the area somewhat...

Love to hate those structures. 

They certainly set a firm background to a quite specific time and place / almost a part of National Consciousness.

Although if they're printed on paper, you could possibly Google / do your own basic artwork and print yourself?

Just a thought - (save a few £££) - although at the same time I'd sort of feel like rewarding them for going out on a limb producing something like this :)

How's your layout Gerry? It pops into my mind from time-to-time.

Very true comments, I've seen quite a few articles on working images into backscenes and also producing fully formed structures, particularly in US mags over the last few years, and more recently in Railway Modeller.  If I were more mobile I'd be able to work more stuff up on the 'puter, as well as doing more original graphics and taking off with the camera gear I still have from my old day job for location shots, sitting at the 'puter is in itself rather taxing for any period of time so this current spate of posts represents a very tiring effort - which also kind of answers your 'actual progress' query; scant physical progress achievable except when those rare and all too brief periods of relief visit me, unfortunately I also have a backlog of more pressing matters to attend to so it's just down to pure luck if things conspire in my favour to move forward with the real construction.

I think the main risk with 'ready mades' is that layouts can suffer from a 'sameyness', I adopted the old Scalescenes factory/warehouse and office block graphics a while ago now, I've seen them employed since on actual layouts and considered if I should retain them because of that, but they represent a 'standard' of a time/type and are quality work from John Wiffen, and in the way I'll use them I think they'll remain individual enough.

Always delighted to follow yours, naturally, skill and originality not only in the layout itself, but also your posts - now there's inspiration to stick with it and get this done...

The Balfron tower resembles the Trellick tower in west London which looms over the GW mainline. (No surprise both designed by Erno Goldfinger) I have powerful memories of class 50s motoring by in the late 80s. The scene being very urban... lots of atmosphere, dirt, grime and social comment. Happy days.

"...very urban..." just the thing...

An interesting choice of graffiti on the tapered end of Robin Hood Gardens in the close up shot, "Bankers F### Off." I wonder whether this was just faithfully reproduced from what was there when the design was made?

Cheers

Phil

There's a restrained amount of graffiti on some of the buildings, glad to say that for me it's nicely restrained and quite indecipherable...

My goodness, grim isn't the word.  :)

I'm expecting that the mix of structures will put the BRUTAL element in a reasonably restrained context, I have some understanding of the notions involved but most certainly wouldn't wish that environment forced on anyone...

As a public building I must say I do miss the Central Library, and given the lacklustre artist impressions for 'Paradise' (As if... I've seen this as a rebranding for there, much like Bullring...) I've seen published I hardly think the replacements have challenged the designers unduly.  Still, there's always more money to be made...

Anyhoo, time for a long lie down after all this...

Regards, Gerry 8)

Cheers

Phil

I believe it's going to be demolished and the site redeveloped; Balfron is being redeveloped (and gentrified as it's so close to Canary Wharf). It wouldn't surprise me.

I stayed in one of the flats in Balfron for an overnight theatre production last year - very roomy and the build quality a lot better than a lot of more modern housing. But I think I prefer the view *from* the building... :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

what scale are these 

If my 'Sums' head is to be relied on :nono:  (actually it's a borrowed one, from my old mate Worzel) then somewhere around the 1/400 mark, there's no scale quoted on the sheets but they do quote Balfron Tower at 84mtrs, and Space House at 52mtrs so if you want to work out the true value go right ahead, the sizes from the supplied sheets are in my opening post.

As I posted on my layout topic, I've deliberately under-resized Space House to fit an A4 sheet for height, it's undersize as a test to see how it holds up to such abuse at low resolution - pretty well in my view, but when I come to do a full resolution print I wanted to see if a slight perspective scaling would look okay - I think it does.

Regards, Gerry 8)

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Waking up to the early morning show on BBC Radio 3 I hear the National Trust is involved in a 'Celebration':

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1355911171331/

If I could travel I'd certainly be up for:

Routemaster bus tours

Led by architectural and cultural experts these tours, aboard the National Trust’s 1962 Routemaster Coach, explore the emergence and development of Brutalism in the city.

More going on around the country.

Regards, Gerry 8)

Archived