Raspberry Pi v Railmaster E Link

BristolBill

Having spent countless hours on trying to get Railmaster / E-Link to work on Windows 10 and previously on Windows 8.1, and numerous contacts with Railmaster Support Centre, try this, try that etc. I have now heard that Raspberry Pi can be used to do the same job . Is this true and if so why have I been wasting my time and money with the Hornby system ?

Can someone advise me as to how to go about setting up RP , the equipment needed etc.

Is it easier and better than RM and does it work as required , after all I don`t know what RM is like as I have never got it to work. Thanks.

SPROG is indeed cheaper then a Roco unit, but is also a lot less capable. However, if you don't mind turning on the computer every time you wanna play trains, it's a cost-effective solution.

The Sprog needing a computer turned on is very comparable with the Hornby E-Link. The E-Link is a small USB box, attached to a computer, and does nothing without the computer being fired up and running RailMaster.    As the "feedback" units for the Hornby system are currently just promises for the future, the headline capabilities are similar.   The difference comes down to how they work, is the software usable by the end-user, is the hardware reliable ?

The Z21/z21 is a different level - an entirely self contained system.

- Nigel

Archived