GCR (London Extension) siding names

George Leacon

Does anyone please know what the Great Central Railway usually referred to their dead-end sidings as?

To elaborate, I am building a GCR (London Extension) station, with a short basic siding coming off the Up Main from a trailing point, to temporarily hold both locos and guards vans.

Would this have been known as an Up: Relief Siding; Refuge Siding; Lay-By; etc?

Many thanks!

Ben West

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I really don't know what the GCR would have called such a siding on the London Extension because I'm scratching my head to think of anywhere they had one. Plenty of trailing sidings of course, both on the up and down sides, but by and large the places that needed a siding specifically for holding locos and brake vans also ran to goods loops and the siding would have been off the loop or as part of a whole complex of sidings. You really only need a loco-and-brake siding on the real railway if you are starting or terminating freights, or interchanging them to other companies/divisions where the loco and brake both get changed, and the last thing you would want is to do any of this while blocking the main line.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all - the station is unorthodox as it's on a return loop at the end of a garden railway, utilising Bachmann's many resin GCR-LE station buildings. Effectively there are two Up platforms either side of the island, plus a goods loop and the above mentioned siding.

Archived