Blog- The Penhydd Diary. - Penhydd............Getting Stoned !

RSS Fetcher

Hi,

Following on from yesterdays post is this "Shows you how"on making stonewalls. It will not suit everyone but might give you an idea for a different way of doing things. Before starting I looked at several alternatives such as making a mould for casting my own walls in plaster,making a press or stamp to form the stones in modelling clay and the plaster castings available from the trade. None of the those methods really gave the ability for the wall to follow the landform.

I did remember an article from way back when on making walls from a card former then covering them in catlitter, damned if could find it or remember whose idea it was. However I thought I would try the method but to be honest I was not impressed and so decided to try the following.

Using the card former idea I cut some strips of cereal packaging into 24mm strips,scored them down the centre and glued them together to form a basic card wall 12mm in height. Every so often a vee shaped nick was made in the card,this is to allow the card to flex up and down slightly so the completed wall can follow the landscape on the layout.

Next I mixed some Milliput and rolled it into flat strips of various thickness, I did consider using the pasta machine but thought better of it :rolleyes: Just before it set I cut the strips into various size stones,you can still do this even when the Milliput has fully set. The card former is now coated with neat PVA and the stones applied, small gaps are filled with catlitter. Once you have done say 4" flood the stones with a dilute PVA /water / washing up liquid mix just as you do when ballasting,this will bind all the stones together. The capping stones are made by rolling out more Milliput and attaching it to the top of the wall,before it sets slice it with a craft knife to form the individual stones.

I painted the walls by first applying a dark grey wash, this will flash into the gaps between the stones. Once dry pick out the stones in different shades of your chosen stone colour. You can also rub the paint away in places to show the natural colour of the materials used.

It might seem a long and boring job to make walls this way but you can curve them as well as adjust them to suit the landscape.Some pictures follow to explain things better.

blogentry-93-12561225382005_thumb.jpg

blogentry-93-12561232570755_thumb.jpg

blogentry-93-1256123284613_thumb.jpg

blogentry-93-12561233188897_thumb.jpg

The camera has made the walls look really crude in close up but they are much neater to the eye.

Geoff

View the full article

Archived