Not strictly a rolling Stock...

I recently acquired a Corgi 1928 Thoneycroft van, which I found to be pretty much spot on fro 1:43.5 scale. The story of its conversion is to be found in my Porth Dinllaen thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79052-porth-dinllaen-in-0/?p=1987545

Does anyone have any info about the roof colour? I've painted it white, and I guess as they aged, they would have darkened as rail vehicle roofs did, but is white the right starting point?

I have Philip Kelley's "Road vehicles of the Great Western railway" but it is somewhat vague - "The livery of GWR road vehicles followed very closely that of the rail passenger carriages..."

Further insight most welcome !!!

(Copied in the Porth Dinllaen thread)

Best

Simon

Based on photos in Kelley's book and Appendix, it would appear that hard-roof vehicles had a very light roof. I'm guessing white lead like the coaches, but it could also conceivably be cream to match the sides. There isn't enough contrast in the photos to determine if the sides and the roof are the same colour or not.

Adrian

Thanks both. I agree, the Kelley book is not clear, and the contrast between white & cream is negligible.

Same is true for the Knightwing photo - difficult to say whether it's right or wrong, and difficult to say whether it's cream of white!

I'll leave it white until evidence arises that it should have been cream. Of course I'll dirty it somewhat!

BTW I don't think the wheels should be brown, (or red, as I have seen on the GWR forum), My interpretation is that they are gloss black.

Best

Simon

Archived