YVT - Yakima Valley Interurban - Reference Sources

Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold

They may have re-used the number, but there is a copy of the original available for a tenner at Grosmont:

http://www.grosmontbookshop.co.uk/files/Bus,%20Tram%20and%20Trolleybus%20Books.pdf

(Page 51 of 54.)

Hi Simon,

Good of you to post...

Both Andy and I have the original publication which is almost all plain text with some poor quality photos.

The one I am after - as pointed out by Andy - has the better quality photos in it.

I'll find a copy yet!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've put some enquiries in place with the Union Pacific Historical Society regarding archive material covering YVT.

Initially I've not had a lot of success but am now beginning to break down the initial barriers and have some replies.

What about?

1 - YVT articles or photos in the inhouse magazine - Streamline.

These are not available as separate items - you have to buy the issue that carried the article or photo.

2 - YVT Trackplans.

There isn't a trackplan of the YVT system on file.

3 - Other YVT archive and information sources.

NRHP - National Register of Historical Places

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places

Has more information and photos of either YVT properties and/or stock.

http://www.dahp.wa.gov/learn-and-research/find-a-historic-place

This is a BIG archive and is taking a lot of time to search fully!

But - I already have some interesting as a result of the search.

More on that once I find out about 'sharing search outcomes' and what I can actually share!

I can't link direct as the search results are from within a database but will try to find ways to share some of the resulting reports.

Lastly - The editor of Streamline would like me to think about writing something up following my searches and submit it for the magazine.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I thought I'd share the first fruits of my search as detailed above....

YVT - Record of Entry - Yakima Valley Transportation - 82bc214f-553e-49bd-aa30-ace24f4e05a0Original.pdf

There is a photo record for this entry but it's to large to get on here.

If you are interested - let me know and I'll send it to the interested parties

WISAARD - Survey Report - 7434 - Kobernink Milling.pdf

Kobernick Milling Co - Yakima - 7434.pdf

Unfortunately there is no photo record for this property. Partly this is because only a small portion of the building on site is of historic importance.

However - the report does include an embedded photo from a different perspective to the only other 2 I have found.

Are you are interested in finding out more?

See the previous post and follow the links to do your own searches!

Not that I am lazy - just the resource is so large.

Thanks

Interesting stuff- I thought I'd learnt everything I'd ever need to know about the YVT, but there is obviously information available from a wide variety of sources (and threads such as this show what can be done on any prototype through remote and persistent research.

One possible untapped source that would be difficult to probe are photos in private collections, by the 1970s the YVT was a bit of a Mecca for traction enthusiasts, and there must be slides and prints amongst private collections, particularly of the Western lines where photos at packing houses are scarce. You only have to look through the "Where's this?" sections on RMweb to know that there are lots of unknown shots that are waiting to be identified.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've been sent a photo and have queries as a result!

I know it's not a great photo - but...

Have a look at this:-

post-6887-0-65423600-1446507836.jpg

No idea of date and it's not a good enough image to zoom in on to look closely for anything that might give a clue.

In the lower to middle left you can make out the yard tracks that were shared by YVT as the have the poles to support the overhead wire.

I am trying to make my mind up if what I think is the curved interchange track is visible neared the top of the photo?

Anyone have anything to help?

Thanks

You can make out where the Carbarn and powerhouse are in the top photo, not found Kobernik milling though, which may date the photo. Shame the NP roundhouse is empty...

The second one is the Fruit Row at Selah, you can see the Wye in the lower photo. I've quickly scribbled the YVT in red....

post-6819-0-34942800-1446542727_thumb.jpg

Archived