Β 

Ansell Industries N 013 - Red's Tavern review/build thread.

Hi all,

Here's my abridged build thread of the latest kit from Nscalelaser.com - Red's Tavern. This is a limited run kit, and there are only 6 left according to their website.

http://www.nscalelaser.com/shop/uncategorized/n-013-reds-tavern/

After building their Dom's Sub Store kit earlier in the year, I quite liked the look of this one so had to give it a go. The kit came packaged like the following image:

20150916_185052-1_zps7c8d169j.jpg

It contains:

1. A sealed brown envelope containing the manila board detail sheet, a sheet of clear acetate for glazing, and a sheet of graphics printed on gloss paper, though the original artwork is avail from the company for those who would prefer to print their own for a matt finish.
2. The laser cut wood sheet containing the kit pieces
3. A set of printed instructions.

The kit itself, minus the instructions:

20150919_160359_001-1_zpsqpahw5q6.jpg

For my build, I decided to give the kit a coat of paint on both sides of the wood whilst it was still on the sprue - as painting it once assembled can cause warping as the moisture from the paint soaks into the wood. I chose a base of burnt sienna for the brickwork, and railmatch "roof dirt" for the grey sections.

20150919_175529_005-1_zpsq1msmnhm.jpg

The instructions seem straightforward to follow - they do mention that one of the walls is slightly too short and give instructions on how to correct this, but I didn't find any measurement issues on mine when dry-assembled, so I ignored these stages and carried on regardless.

The basic shell of the building is easy to assemble - I used Speed Bond branded white glue, which does exactly what it says.

20150919_201434-1_zpsttgvdzwg.jpg

Detail of the back of the structure, including the down pipe for draining water from the angled roof:

20150919_201508-1_zpscxdbrqfk.jpg

The shell with roof and detailing added:

20150919_203958-1_zpskegx2igb.jpg

Roof details, signs and aircon unit added:

20150919_212053-1_zps0krmxccx.jpg

20150919_212106-1_zps8kcevidl.jpg

The wall containing the front door does need to have the edges beveled to allow it to fit flush to the two walls beside it - I haven't done this yet as I didn't have any files or sandpaper with me during the build process.

All in all, another great kit from Simon. Decent value for a laser cut kit, and one which goes together very easily. I'd recommend this for any beginners to laser cut structures, as it is surprisingly sturdy for such a small, lightweight material. The only downside I can pick with this is that the slot for the window sill on the long wall is ever so slightly too large for the sill that's going into it, but this could be easily corrected using some slightly thicker stripwood, or even a little bit of card or styrene.

As for a rating, I'd give this kit a solid B+, which feels a little low - but then the model is small and doesn't have that "WOW" factor that larger laser cut kits do - like Ansell's Firehouse or Factory buildings.

A heartily recommended "corner filler" or entry kit into the world of laser cut structures.

Roll on the next kit they do!

Archived