Help two of my models a Bachmann Pannier tank and Bachmann 56xx are not working and moving?

LNER4471

I am having problems with my Bachmann Pannier tank and Bachmann 56xx there are not moving on the track. I have oil them and clean the wheels and don`t know what to do. There were running perfectly then there stop working it is not the track my other models run fine. The pannier tank is only a flew years old, 56xx is one of the older Bachmann 56xx from before DDC ready models and the older packing. 

Is it shorting, Not taking power or simply jammed / seized.

First is it split chassis?  If so it may well be possible to fit the wheels the wrong way round. 33mm long rods at the front 29mm rods at the back and jam the mechanisms.   I would remove the wheels as a first step and make sure the axle journals are clean and dry, Thick oil will stop them picking up current,  It may be possible to fit the keeper plate so as to trap the gear wheel.

Wheels sometimes slip on the axles losing the quartering which jams the mechanism

It may be shorting,  If you put one of your other locos on the track and set it running and then put the Bachmann Pannier on the track as well does the first loco slow down?  If so the Bachmann is taking power. If it stops the Bachmann is shorting.  If the other loco is unaffected then you have a wire off or a motor tag broken on a split chassis.

If it is not split chassis check the pickups, for not making contact and for shorting and check all the wires and make sure the DCC blanking plug is in.

I have known several Bachmann motors to burn out, I have two dead 57XX chassis a Std 4 and an 03  in my scrap box all with dead motors so if all else fails winkle the motor out and see if it runs straight off the controller, a split chassis motor will run if you put the wheel less chassis between the rails so one side rubs one rail and the other side the other rail.

Best of luck, 

Archived