Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ratio Security Fencing

• RMweb Gold

I've planted the fence posts. Then the kit includes a sheet of gauze to represent the fence panels. I reckon I need 21mm high strips, of gauze. Any ideas on how to cut strips of the gauze as it stretches and moves?

Stick it to a strip of sellotape, cut out your strips and then remove the tape.

Once you have cut it the fun comes trying to fix it. I have a fair bit of it on Peafore Yard and would suggest gluing it with superglue to the end post, waiting for it to go off, then repeat on the next post while gently stretching it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've laid the mesh onto the cutting mat and holding firmly in place with a steel ruler, I've cut using a very sharp scalpel blade, but needs to be cut in one go so needs sufficient pressure so as to not snag the fibres.

I've glued the mesh direct onto unpainted posts using EMA plasticweld, holding in place to allow the glue / plastic to set. Then move onto the next post. Once the first three or four posts are done, it gets a bit quicker to do. Keeping tension in the mesh is the tricky bit and to keep straight without creasing or drooping.

For the wires, I've used silver cotton thread. The variety I use is twin wound, so need to unravel so only one thread is fed through the holes. The ends are glued using superglue and the excess trimmed with scissors. Again getting the tension right is the key oh and not miss any holes!

There are a few photos of the fencing I did on Oakley Green layout thread.

• Like 1

Mine is a combination of using a flat steel engineers ruler so the mesh cannot deform when cutting with then laying up onto a gel based superglue post and doing no more than 3 posts at the time. Make sure you support the unglued section as the weight can pull the glueing bits off. I have used the cornerstone fencing and at least the ratio has square posts to glue on unlike the other which is just rod!

• 4 years later...