RMweb

shanks522

Looking good, does make me question why my HST won't climb my helix, is yours 3rd radius like you said or did you go larger?

Hi Boco,

The helix uses radius 2 and 3, My Dapol HST just about manages 2 power cars + 6 coaches, not sure if it'l do it with 8? 

cheers

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Graham, yeah I think that is the problem mine is a 7 car i also added the alternative couplings, they look nicer but think they might be a factor. Maybe a bit more testing is needed. Anyway that's the end of my hijack of your thread, back to the layout, I am rather looking forward to seeing the results. Your previous layout was one of the reasons i was inspired to return to N.

Jimmy

Edited by Boco_D1

• 1 month later...

I missed this thread starting off - looks great Graham!  Can't wait to see it progress :D  Merry Christmas!  Simon

Hi Simon, 

Work on the layout has been none existent of late, two of the four boards are built but now i'm having the whole thing curved i need to change the way its erected.

Hopefully i'l make some progress in the new year.

Merry christmas to all.

cheers

Graham. 

• 2 weeks later...

That is looking very nice. Your previous layout and a few others have given me a nudge to explore N gauge and accept that my available space isn't really suited to much more than a shunting plank in 4mm.

Can I ask about the vertical spacing on your helix and how you constructed the lower circuit?

• Like 1

That is looking very nice. Your previous layout and a few others have given me a nudge to explore N gauge and accept that my available space isn't really suited to much more than a shunting plank in 4mm.

Can I ask about the vertical spacing on your helix and how you constructed the lower circuit?

Hello Bill,

I can't tell you what the spacing is off the top of my head but will check and let you know, The way it's constructed is similar to an upturned Top hat, Once the trackbed shape has been cut to size a length of 4mm ply is glued and pinned on the inner edge to the same profile, once fully cured it creates a very strong structure. 

cheers

Graham.

• 4 months later...

any updates??

Hi,

Not at the moment, this is a more long term project and i seem to have very little time at the moment.

I'm also being distracted by a smaller N gauge layout i'm building, N gauge home layout

Hopefully when i get a spare day i'll get the baseboards finished and upload a few photos.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any progress?

In a word No.

I'm a little torn at the moment, time is a major factor, in that i have hardly any for modelling.

The Revolution Pendolino is due soon i'd like somewhere to show it off and this layout is exactly what i want but due to its size it would only be at exhibitions, with this in mind I'm planing on a smaller 8 ft ish layout that i can use at home, hopefully sooner rather than later.  

cheers

Graham.

• Like 2

Lack of time.  Something I can definitely identify with.

Looking at making a small N gauge layout with minimal expense (as I have a lot of stuff, in boxes) and this / Smithdown Road style layouts really appeal to me (I think I met you at Tonbridge a couple of years back and we had a chat about it) but it's simply trying to get the right track plan which I seem good at failing to do, even if I try and follow yours to the millimetre it doesn't fit!

• Like 1

I remember us chatting about it at Tonbridge, My latest idea is to model a 3 track section of the WCML, nothing fancy just plain line crossing the baseboard diagonally, a small helix either end and a few loops beneath. 

What sort of era are you planning to model?

• Like 1

What sort of era are you planning to model?

NSE/early sectorisation period, somewhere in the south.  I wish I'd bought some of the Farish CEPs when they were out as they would have been ideal.  Sadly Ebay prices are beyond what I can justify at the moment.

Also planning an O gauge layout, and waiting for the warmer weather to build a shed for the OO layout which might also go round the garden...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NSE/early sectorisation period, somewhere in the south.  I wish I'd bought some of the Farish CEPs when they were out as they would have been ideal.  Sadly Ebay prices are beyond what I can justify at the moment.

Also planning an O gauge layout, and waiting for the warmer weather to build a shed for the OO layout which might also go round the garden...

I believe by the time NSE came along the CEPs had been refurbished with the guards compartment removed from the driving trailers to one of the centre trailers, so the farish one would be wrong for your period (although they are nice models). I looked into converting my own but it's a lot of work, although I have seen it done on here in OO. You could try Electra graphics who I believe do overlays for Poole farish MK1s that you can motorise.

Early sectorisation/ NSE is why i built Sarum town, i've become quite fond of toothpaste livery, cromptons and even class 50's!!!!  :O

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I totally understand how time can seem to be stolen away!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with - and photos of your Pendolino running on it!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Hopefully the new idea i have can be built very quickly, the Pendolinos are the main reason for doing it, along with anything else West Coast related.

Graham.

• Like 1