Recommend me a controller

Didn't know whether this fitted better in Help/Advice section or here so I've gone for this part of the forum.

I'm looking to get a new controller for the layout I am building (see my blog for more). If they were still readily available I may have looked at a Pentroller, but as I understand it they are not. I would like to have the capability to switch between iron core and coreless motors, because I have both types of motor. What is also important to me is to have a regulator and brake or sometimes called coast and brake type of controller. I've come across the PICtroller but it doesn't appear to be quite what I want because the brake is not constantly variable - the rate being pre-set and then applied in one of three stages. I would be interested if anyone has one of these to know how they find them?

Other than that the request is as the title...

• RMweb Gold

The Pentroller was probably the best of the kind as it included back emf sampling to adjust the voltage. Probably the best option is to build your own. Basically you need an emitter follower which could be driven by an op-amp front . Drive the op amp with a potentiometer and a suitable capacitor, another potentiometer for the brake. Since the output is smooth DC its suitable for coreless motors. However the circuit lacks feedback but that's what upsets coreless motors. You could add a push button for a high voltage unstick button. This sort of circuit does need some sort of heat sink for the power transistor. I remember one built in a beer can which for some reason seems to fit well in your hand ( you have to drink the beer fisrt though.)

Donw

Thanks. Since I have no idea what you just tried to explain I don't think it is the best option for me to make my own! I would like the capability to operate both cored and coreless motors reliably, which from your post I believe requires to switch in/out feedback.

Archived