Kuala Lumpur ? Singapore high speed rail market sounding begins

DavidB-AU

Malaysian land transport commission SPAD and Singapore’s Land Transport Authority have jointly launched a market-sounding exercise for the Kuala Lumpur – Singapore high speed rail project. The proposed 330 km line would offer a 90 min journey time between the cities.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/high-speed/single-view/view/kuala-lumpur-singapore-high-speed-line-market-sounding-begins.html

• 3 weeks later...

It would be good if the proposed route was to terminate at Singapore's Tanjong Pagar station once again.

Such a beautiful building oozing with character, well deserving of a tasteful restoration.

There are different reasons TGV goes to/via CDG, but then most to/from Paris don't. I can't see any reason for the mammoth extra expense of going through Singapore to Changi, especially when MRT already goes from Tanjong Pagar/Outram/Raffles to the airport. The complication and expense would be a like extending Eurostar to Heathrow.

Cheers

David

I recall HS2 was initially proposed as calling at Heathrow, and Frankfurt airport station always seems busy for passengers joining and leaving IC/ICE services.  Given that Changi is one of the world's main air hubs, a rail link calling there could capture a market well beyond that where passengers have to change on and off local rail services.  That's not to say it shouldn't have a more central calling point, just that calling at the airport could vastly improve the commercial prospects of such a link.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds good in principle, but I doubt that Malaysians and visitors to Malaysia would want the extra costs and cross-border immigration hassles compared to flying through the new(ish) airport serving KL. Therefore Changi increasingly serves the long-haul stop-over and local market, which needs volume (mass transit) rather than high speed. 

Archived