Gauge 0 club/test track/layout in Languedoc Roussillon?

Focalplane

After a big change of plan this summer I am embracing 0 gauge (BR Midland Region) with the locus of operations in my smallish apartment located between Narbonne and Perpignan.

But I seem to live in a model railway desert.  The only retailer I know of is in Bessan, the other side of Béziers, and they focus on HO gauge (FB Systems).  So I depend on UK mail order and infrequent car trips.

Recently I had a "brilliant idea" of buying some protected land within the regional park, only to now find out that an 0 gauge garden layout  would be frowned upon (and possibly destroyed by the local mairie!)  So it's back to the drawing board.  I am constructing a small shed layout in the apartment but one of my aims is to build a complete Midlander train as seen in 1955/7.  This clearly won't fit into my apartment, so my next "brilliant idea" is to find a way to run the train in a club setting.  But is there one?  I would be prepared to spread the net wide to include Toulouse and Montpellier though both are a good drive away.

Any thoughts out there in RMWeb land?

Or here:-

http://www.leportailduzero.org/forum/

Incidentally, the advice I've had is that outdoor tracks fall into a grey area that doesn't legally need permission, but treating the local maire to a bottle of his favourite tipple and explaining your plans over a decent meal will probably secure all the support you need - whilst bolstering Anglo-French relations in the spirit of entente cordiale. I'm not, however, in a regional park, just a severely depopulated commune where any new initiative (and anyone buying land/moving in) is warmly welcomed. I had hardly been here two minutes before I was asked when I'd be exhibiting my still-to-be-built layouts (3 planned, N-gauge rtr, O gauge GWR now 1/2 stocked, and the big one, LNWR P4. Still pondering how I will explain the latter to the locals ...).

• RMweb Premium

Not sure why explaining P4 LNWR is a problem.  It is after all 1:76 scale of an ancient British company.

if it had been 00 then I think that would have been a challenge - well it's kind of 1:76 but the track is H0, and the reason for this is.............(delve into whatever anecdotal story you feel you can describe.)

The history of coastal development in Languedoc Roussillon goes back to the 1960s.  Some areas were marked off as untouchable while others saw unprecedented development.  My area of interest is one of the untouchable ones!  A neighbour explained that the Maire sent in the Sapeurs Pompier to destroy a rebuilt cabane (hut) that had been used as an occasional weekend habitation.  The Maire has very powerful tentacles, longer and more powerful than I can handle!  So back to the drawing board, as always.

Not sure why explaining P4 LNWR is a problem. 

in my experience explaining anything that isn't HO or N (1:160) is a problem - in fact, although N was pretty popular when I was in Germany (and even HOe was not unknown to non-modelling members of the local populace) over here anything other than HO seems to attract puzzled looks, usually followed by a muttered "Pourquoi?".

• RMweb Gold

I had not realised that you were in the Narbonne/Perpignan area. Not quite sure which bit of protected land you are referring to but south of Port-la-Nouvelle there are miles of "terrains de loisirs" with huts and old caravans. I still think that vandalism could be a problem though.

I used to know a few zeroistes in the area but don't know if they are still around. Agree with advice above that you should definitely get in touch with Cercle du Zero.

Not sure what your housing budget would  be but the local village houses often have perfect attics for an O gauge layout. Prices have come down a bit but nowhere near the levels of 25 years ago when an O-compatible house could have been picked up very cheaply. You might still find a bargain stone barn if it is in a place that means it can't be converted into a house.

I don't really want to move from my apartment, the costs involved are too large.  And I live in a community, not in some far off stone barn (please don't think this rude, I am more concerned about access to good health, etc. as I get yet older).  Yes, the Regional Park includes the area south of Port la Nouvelle.  Vandalism could be a problem but ironically it is the Maire that could cause the greater problems.  I do understand his dilemma - give an inch and they take a mile - hence my question about potential clubs and test tracks in the vicinity.

I have put out feelers in the local community for possible rented space, etc. but a good part of the problem comes back to the Regional Park set up - available unrestricted land is at a premium.  Who would have thought this possible in such a large and often sparsely populated country?  The answer probably lies in the fact that I live 2 km from what could be the best beach in Languedoc!

A great idea, Brian!  Leucate La Franqui station is in use, or at least the booking office is open at times.  The upstairs area might be available but access could be difficult when the station is closed.  When I lived near Béziers the station building at Nissan was rented out to a family for a while but must have been quite noisy with all the freight trains that run at night.  Nissan is an arrete or flag stop during rush hour.

Two photos - Leucate La Franqui, well maintained and sometimes open:

post-20733-0-74918700-1444535342_thumb.jpg

And the run down station building at Nissan lès Énsérune:

post-20733-0-95350000-1444535170_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the other yard buildings that were once standing have gone.

I drove up to Leucate - La Franqui station late this afternoon - the book office was closed, so no-one to talk to.  There is one graffiti'd building where the goods yard used to be ( a few 100m north of the station) but nothing else.  Too much graffiti to get me excited, but that is the way of the world, even down here.  Must keep looking!

• 2 months later...

I am in Aquitaine just north of Pau where there seems to be no railway modellers at all! There is a small shop in Pau selling limited range.. News this week that SNCF have completed stage two of renovating the line up the Val d'Apse in the Pyrenees from Oleron-Sainte-Marie. The first stage was from Pau and the final destination is the amazing semi-derelect station at Canfranc via the Somport tunnel, to join up with the Spanish railway network.

post-11434-0-49744100-1450441405.jpg

post-11434-0-20318400-1450441757_thumb.jpg

Canfranc station is amazing, given that even in its busiest days, it never had that much traffic. Were all those rooms at first floor and roof level for railway use, or was there a hotel as well? The scale of it makes it look almost like an over-exaggerated computer graphic from Harry Potter or similar. I've been to other border stations, such as Modaane, Vingtimiglia and Cerbere/Port Bou, and whilst there is ample provision for the cheminots and fonctionaires of both countries, there is nothingg on this scale.

It is, indeed, a remarkable building.

No update on my Gauge 0 plans at the moment and I still have yet to find any other railway enthusiasts in the immediate area.  The nearest model shop is at Bessan, east of Béziers and it seems to thrive mostly on mail order.  Not open at weekends!

Before returning to the UK for Christmas I drove up into the mountains along the Fenouillides which has a tourist train.  At Axat there is an amazing series of curved stone viaducts crossing narrow gorges.  This is a map of Axat, showing how the standard gauge line gains altitude.

post-20733-0-14502800-1450449234.jpg

The line used to go north to Quillan but the Aude Gorge section is no longer viable.

• RMweb Premium

I'll follow this thread.  We have just bought a house in Charente Maritime that includes a 400 sq m shed that is bif enough for my layout when we move there in about 2 years.  You will ahve to come up and give yours a run.

Jamie

It is, indeed, a remarkable building.

No update on my Gauge 0 plans at the moment and I still have yet to find any other railway enthusiasts in the immediate area.  The nearest model shop is at Bessan, east of Béziers and it seems to thrive mostly on mail order.  Not open at weekends!

Before returning to the UK for Christmas I drove up into the mountains along the Fenouillides which has a tourist train.  At Axat there is an amazing series of curved stone viaducts crossing narrow gorges.  This is a map of Axat, showing how the standard gauge line gains altitude.

attachicon.gifIMG_1752.jpg

The line used to go north to Quillan but the Aude Gorge section is no longer viable.

My goddaughter's godmother's family were from Axat, and they still have a house by the portal of the tunnel under 'St Vincent'. We stayed there some 20 years ago, long after the through route to Quillan had been severed, but when the line still served a mine (producing talc, I believe) at the Axat end of the gorge. There uas a daily train, hauled by a brace of 66000 diesels, as far as the mine. It would lay over at the station for lunch. I believe the Preservation society acts as an 'Operateur du Proximite' nowadays, running trains from just east of Axat (St Paul des Fenouillides?) to Rivesaltes, whence either ECR or Europorte take over.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my house at St Pons de Thomieres to the north of Herault, A town house, what might be described as a Mews property in well to do London. No garden(no maintenance when I am not there!), but several usable and livable floors. Enough room to store everything, and still have room for my art studio and hobby room(s). My wife has her space, but still plenty of room. Town centre based(so strong conservation planning rules), but everything is within easy walking distance(a priority as I get older).

There is a big model railway club up at Castres. I do know there is at least one member living locally, but I have not had time to make contact. I was told about that model shop near Beziers. Even my neighbour(English) who models WW2 for wargaming was not aware of it.

When I have the time I want to explore Narbonne beach area as it is the old site of the 50c gauge railway served salt works. Locos now on CF de Tarn, and the area now a reserve. I have the book about the reserve, with a couple of photos showing the trains.

What surprised me hen I first drove along coast from Beziers away from Narbonne, was how built up it was. It makes conserving other parts much more important. Thing is there is still plenty of room in France for conservation and built up areas. It is one of the things I like about France, especially the area I chose to buy into. Just a pity so many of the railways shut down, and relatively recently. My parents' old Michelin atlas of 1988 shows so many lines still existing at the time(but suspect many were mothballed).

Eventually would like to meet up with other railway modellers in the area.,

Happy New Year everyone.

I bought my house at St Pons de Thomieres to the north of Herault, A town house, what might be described as a Mews property in well to do London. No garden(no maintenance when I am not there!), but several usable and livable floors. Enough room to store everything, and still have room for my art studio and hobby room(s). My wife has her space, but still plenty of room. Town centre based(so strong conservation planning rules), but everything is within easy walking distance(a priority as I get older).

There is a big model railway club up at Castres. I do know there is at least one member living locally, but I have not had time to make contact. I was told about that model shop near Beziers. Even my neighbour(English) who models WW2 for wargaming was not aware of it.

When I have the time I want to explore Narbonne beach area as it is the old site of the 50c gauge railway served salt works. Locos now on CG de Tarn, and the area now a reserve. I have the book about the reserve, with a couple of photos shoing the trains.

Eventually would like to meet up with other railway modellers in the area.,

Happy New Year everyone.

There are several old salt works along the coast around Narbonne but I would imagine that the one north of Port la Nouvelle was the largest.  There are some remnants from the past, including a Cantina on the Isle de St. Lucie, which is now a protected nature area.  If you are planning to visit the area and I am in residence we could perhaps meet up some time in the future?

Your comment about living near the town centre is very true.  We live within 200 meters of the centre of Leucate.  I have been amused in the past by the "Place in the Sun" TV series and what appears to be a total lack of thought for what happens as one gets older.  The real estate companies were most surprised that we did not want to live way up in the hills but in a real community.

I think Castres is too far away for me!  I need to visit the shop in Bessan and ask them about clubs, etc.  When I have been there in the past there have often been other modellers looking and buying.  If you go, remember their opening hours are, well, French - long lunch break, not open at weekends.

And "une excellente année 2016" to all.

• RMweb Gold

There are several old salt works along the coast around Narbonne but I would imagine that the one north of Port la Nouvelle was the largest.  There are some remnants from the past, including a Cantina on the Isle de St. Lucie, which is now a protected nature area.  If you are planning to visit the area and I am in residence we could perhaps meet up some time in the future?

Your comment about living near the town centre is very true.  We live within 200 meters of the centre of Leucate.  I have been amused in the past by the "Place in the Sun" TV series and what appears to be a total lack of thought for what happens as one gets older.  The real estate companies were most surprised that we did not want to live way up in the hills but in a real community.

I think Castres is too far away for me!  I need to visit the shop in Bessan and ask them about clubs, etc.  When I have been there in the past there have often been other modellers looking and buying.  If you go, remember their opening hours are, well, French - long lunch break, not open at weekends.

And "une excellente année 2016" to all.

Francis is often away at exhibitions at weekends which is why he does not open then. But, as you say, he is mainly mail order anyway.

In my time there (still have a house but not living there permanently), there were clubs at Beziers and Perpignan, both linked to AFAC the cultural association for SNCF staff.

Archived