Basset Lowke - Joseph

The Bigbee Line

I have a Basset Lowke Joseph, a nice loco, runs like a shunter, nice squeakes etc as it moves along.

With a little weathering down it will make a nice loco to shuffle in and out of the exchange sidings.

Is there an easy way to make the wheels a little more 'scale' to run though Peco points.  I have a couple of the older ones with adjustable check rails and there is still a little binding as it runs through the crossing (frog).

The axles are easily removable, the bottom plate unscrews and the axles lift out of slots.

Suggestions please.

Many thanks.

Ernie

I think you would have to get the wheels turned to slim the flanges & get a back-to-back that would work with finescale track. Might also need to reduce the flange diameter.

This would require a local pal with a lathe - or perhaps there are people who offer the service.

Alternatively, a set of Slaters wheels, but not knowing the loco, I cannot say how easy or not fitting these would be.

HTH

Simon

I know this will generate great controversy, but these locos are very sought-after by coarse-scalers, who have track that they run well on.

You could sell it on (don't weather it first!!!) for a goodly sum, buy a fine-scale plastic equivalent, and still have the price of several pints left over. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96810-minerva-model-railways-a-new-o-gauge-manufacturer-is-launched-and-announces-peckett-e-class/

They are very nice locos indeed, but I swapped my two for a SR Mogul, because I didn't really have any work for them.

Kevin

Well, I was going to make a comment that modifications may devalue it, so I'm glad that Kevin has chipped in.

There's one on ebay at the moment - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bassett-lowke-o-gauge-limited-edition-joseph-/272013178265- few days left to run so might make a few bob.

I think buying a Minerva Peckett would be a very good option, unless you're somehow "attached" to the one you have.

HTH

Simon

FWIW I think that has a charm that no plastic loco can have, and I'd want to keep it. At that price you're better off keeping it too. I'd tend to agree about leaving it alone, it should have the "patina" which comes with age. Perhaps look for some spare wheels/axles to machine down?

Ed

FWIW I think that has a charm that no plastic loco can have, and I'd want to keep it. At that price you're better off keeping it too. I'd tend to agree about leaving it alone, it should have the "patina" which comes with age. Perhaps look for some spare wheels/axles to machine down?

Ed

Ed, it has a charm and I looked at how the axles came out. Quite easy. Another pair of wheelsets could be fitted. Just need a new gear and it could be a straight swap out.

What size wheels real Pecketts have doesn't really come into it if you are changing the wheelsets on this loco,all you want are suitable driving wheels which are the same diameter over the tyres as the originals,unless you want to change the buffer height.

Cheers, Mark

Archived