09016 'The Sniper'

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Thought I'd post a few phots of a supossed quick project on turning an Hornby EWS 08 in to one of BZ's finest-and we're not talking 37's!wink.gif

09016 'The Sniper' is still at BZ although stored and can be seen from the road running down to Par. Here's some phots below:

http://staceys-fots....t/p9406255.html

http://www.southwest.../p47824493.html

Main modifications have revolved aroung the cab area with some repainting and those wasp stripes!blink.gif

post-7584-126713891489_thumb.jpg

High level pipes are courtesy of Hornby and I'd like to thank Jon Gavin (of Wheal Peak Dale fame laugh.gif ) and John at Precision Decals for producing the one of decal sheet.

post-7584-126713884116_thumb.jpg

Need to add some Beasty logos, data panels and the pipes between high level ones and the buffer beams-then varnish and reassemnble.

post-7584-12671389032_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well she's finished! wink.gif

Here she is in all her glory!

post-7584-126817637151_thumb.jpg

Small EWS Beasty logos were courtesy of a Fox 2mm scale sheet.

post-7584-126817652189_thumb.jpg

Weathering consisted of a mucky watercolour wash-wiped off when almost dry followed by some dry brushing in appropriate areas in accordance with the fots I have of this loco. The underframe was weathered with a mixture of diluted acrylics and the buffer beams had a wash of off white to represent the after effects of shunting clay wagons.

post-7584-126817680119_thumb.jpg

Thanks once again for Jon G and John at Precision Decals for making this project happen.

Well there you have it. 'The Sniper'. Any comments appreciated.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Take some photos in natural light, if you can. Using flash just washes out the colours and hides the detail. It looks nice, but I'm finding it hard to judge as your pictures don't do it justice.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree the fots aren't up to much are they? Poor light and a average camera is not condusive to good fots.

I'll take some fots outside over the weekend. Hopefully we can see 'The Sniper' in all her glory.

Cheers.

Mark

Hi Mark,

She still looks smashing fela wheither you have a good camera or not you've put a lot of time and effort in to SNIPER and i think shes a cracking cornish gronk well done :icon_thumbsup2:

Kind Regards, Jon.

• RMweb Gold

I look forward to seeing this in natural light! smile.gif The custom decals certainly set her off nicely smile.gif

Hi James,

Thanks for your message.

John at Precision Decals did a wonderful job on 'The Sniper' names and numbers.

Hopefully the weather will be ok this weekend and can get those fots outside.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

In response to people requesting better fots taken outside I decided to display 'The Sniper' in a natural setting.

Thus I took the bull by the horns and decided to build a small vignette. This consisted of a plank of wood, some cork and some old track. Advise was sort from Alex (wiggoforgold/Diddington fame) and the use of gerbil grit for ballast and hanging basket liner for grass resulted in a quick and cheap way to build a display. Plumbers hemp was used for the long sun bleached grass and some Woodland Scenics sponge was dotted with copious amounts of yellow to represent gorse bushes.

Track and buffer stops were weathered with Winsor & Newton Acrylics followed by a light wash of Valejo Panzer rust (Very good). I'm pleased with the result. Some times I think track can look too orange and stands out.

Therefore imagine you're at the north end of BZ yard on a glorious summer day!cool.gif

post-7584-12685682238_thumb.jpg

post-7584-126856823538_thumb.jpg

post-7584-126856825066_thumb.jpg

post-7584-126856826021_thumb.jpg

The vignette took an evening and a day to complete as was good for learning new techniques.

Hope you've enjoyed the fots.

Cheers.

Mark

That's better B)

Nice job, you've captured subtle weathering quite nicely, something which is quite tricky to do - the natural light makes all the difference, I didn't think your earlier photos were doing it justice.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Martin.

Yep-the fots do manage to capture the the weathering just right and I prefer a lighter approach to a more heavy handed one.

Thanks.

Mark

Archived