O GAUGE KIT ID PLEASE

d600

Hi I picked up this kit which has some bits missing I was wondering if anyone knows who made it the loco is 0-4-0 fowler diesel which was on the NDSR picture below stamped on the bottom of one of the etches says fowler 1996. 

cheers

post-11190-0-53912200-1445001515.jpg

The pic seems to have been taken at Chatham Dockyard after the North downs scheme at Stone had folded. If indeed you have an Impetus one then treasure it as the likliehood of it reappearing under the Karlagarin banner is about the same as Sharman Wheels reappearing under the Precision Paints one!

The pic seems to have been taken at Chatham Dockyard after the North downs scheme at Stone had folded. If indeed you have an Impetus one then treasure it as the likliehood of it reappearing under the Karlagarin banner is about the same as Sharman Wheels reappearing under the Precision Paints one!

Your post with the kit bits just got in before I pressed the 'post' button. Doesn't look impetus to me as I can't see the funny little motif (a bird? a Robin?) that Robin Arkinstall put on all his etches which were a work of art in themselves - not surprising as Robin worked I think as a graphic designer in the Goodge Street/Tottenham Court Road part of London and used to sell some of his stuff out via Nigel at The Booking Hall in Charlotte Street nearby.

Could be interesting though to know who the manufacturer was. 

Not Impetus. It would not have had cast bonnet sides and the chassis would have been more refined. Indeed I don't recall any 7mm kit from Impetus the ones treasured are 4mm and reach outlandish prices on ebay.

Saw this one on ebay and thought if it could be identified for a cab would make a reasonable project. (As so often, I didn't bid high enough) Good luck.

Indeed I don't recall any 7mm kit from Impetus the ones treasured are 4mm and reach outlandish prices on ebay.

http://www.karlgarin.com/r&d.htm

My son has an untouched Ruston 48DS in 7mm from Impetus. However much of the old Impetus range has/is now being covered by Mike Edge in his Judith Edge range.

Intriguing this one then - just hope it isn't MTK!

Instructions shouldn't be a problem. It should be easy enough intuitively there are not many parts and the big lumps of w/m pretty obvious.

As for the cab some lightweight brass metal work and a drawing/or photo should enable something of sorts to be bashed. (even I shock.gif was considering that as possible when I bid on it)

There is still profit in it (or, if you prefer, modelling satisfaction) from a few hours work.

Hi not sure im that confident lol im new to o gauge built plenty of kits but never scratchbuilt anything only buildings in oo gauge so not sure what to do chances of cab etches turning up somewhere is a BIG no so might sell it on or put it in a box and shelf it :O

If you're not confident of doing the cab in brass, why not use plasticard? If you can copy a drawing, you can surely do that, and the costs will be pretty minimal, so if you assume your first go is just a try-out, you can surely do it right on the second attempt. And if you're lucky it'll be ok on the first!

And if that works, wash the castings in hot soapy water, dry them, and glue them with 5-minute epoxy.

And if that works (and it will), have a go at the chassis!

Good luck and post the photos as you go. If you get stuck, shout up, there are plenty of people who can offer advice & guidance on here!

Best

Simon

Hi thank you for the advice Simon so I will need a drawing first I tried the casting together held with blue tack they fitted together well,I have lots of plasticard in various thickness so there's no problem there.There are a couple of bits on the chassis which I don't know where they go I will upload some pictures later on today.

Cheers

Right I made the bonnet bits up I have attached some pictures the 3rd picture is the main floor I think does anyone know which is the front and back lol the 4th picture is bits I haven't got a clue were they go the biggest fret looks like they bend in 3 places I thought maybe chassis cross members? Any help appreciated.

Thank you

post-11190-0-87617300-1445448297_thumb.jpeg

post-11190-0-95651800-1445448309_thumb.jpeg

post-11190-0-87058700-1445448328_thumb.jpeg

post-11190-0-72145300-1445448340_thumb.jpeg

I'll hazard a guess. The big hole in the foot plate/floor is where the motor + gearbox protrudes into the bonnet and the slots behind it would have been the front cab sheet. So i the photo the front is at the top.

The two with the three fold lines look just like spacers - but from the other picture it looks like the frames have simple screw-in bar spaced frames. Was the kit dual gauge?

The etch to the right looks suspiciously like a motor + gearbox mount.

I get the impression that a deal more than the cab is missing - valances, steps, chassis detail (though brake shoes seem to be there) I'm becoming glad I stuck with my initial speculative bid.

• RMweb Premium

There is a topic on building Impetus Fowler diesels in the Standard Gauge Industrial part of this special interest areas. It seems to be that someone is building a very similar kit to this but that the bonnet has been replaced with a resin casting. I expect this will help with parts ID at least? The front step area looks like one of your parts for instance.

Cheers

Ian

Hi yep Kenton I think theres a fair few bits missing valances,steps,all the cab,and the bit behind the cab I think all the chassis bits are there sandboxes,tanks plus other bits.Thanxs ian I will take a look but I think I will put this kit in the parts box for the mo lol.

cheers  

Archived