HO scale - Tramway turnouts - Already done in Templot?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Quick query re this situation.

As per my other threads on RMWeb re Yakima Valley Transportation, I am going to be modelling a section of Yakima Valley Transportation in HO.

At present it looks likely that a model of the Carbarn Yard and approaches will be the outcome of the deliberations.

I was speaking online to a tram buff who said he thought that turnouts/points of tight radius for trams had already been done in Templot.

I pushed further but he was unable to recall where he had obtained this bit of information.

What I am looking at?

From the map and working out the dimensions from that, it appears that I need the ones that come off the main route into the carbarn (or alongside it) that are very tight but about 24' radius in real life.

Does anyone know if these or similar already exist as Templot drawings?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

You can do almost anything in Templot. :)

gn15_2.png

I don't recall anyone posting tramway turnouts specifically, but if you can post the prototype maps or plans, something can be worked out.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the fast response.

Yes - I already experienced that but gave up on the learning curve when life got in the way.

Anyway - on my thread about the YVT Carbarn - 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102614-yvt-yakima-valley-interurban-car-barn-and-yard/?p=2007786

There is an overview/aerial shot of the location with known dimensions that I have used to do the sizing/scaling.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Having discussed with some of the tram and trolley guys off forum...

It seems that I have been barking up the wrong tree.

The templates available from the Proto87 store are not what I should be looking for.

The points/turnouts (you decide) do not have a constant radius through the curved portion of the track.

It appears they are 'Oblate' curves (someone correct me if I got that wrong as well).

The curve starts from the toe at one radius and then the radius tightens as it takes the corner.

This is to smooth the curve of the track and avoid difficulties with the centre overhang of the tram or trolley catching on the curb or verge in the corner.

So - anyone got a clue about these and how to do them in Templot?

Thanks

Archived