Isolated section indicator

girlinb

I'm looking for a solution to show the status of a isolating sections - Red Off/Green On when no controller power and/or no train in the section

I was thinking a DPDT On-On using one pole for power to track and the other pole to LED's (or possibly bulbs)

Will this work and if so can anyone suggest appropriate power supply and arrangement/resistors for the LED side - I need to do this for dozens of section

Thanks

Brian

Using an extra pole on the switch to switch an LED will tell you the state of the switch but it will not help with train detection which is also one of your requirements.

For the LED you will need a separate power supply, that's always on (the LED would never light if a controller were connected but turned down to zero), switched through a separate switch pole. You want a two pole ON-ON.

With a 12V DC supply (very common, easily available) red and green LEDs can be connected in series with a single 1K resistor. Adjust the R to your preferred brightness. Connect the R to the switch common and to the 12V of the power supply. Connect both LED Cathodes to the 0V and one to each of the other two switch contacts. Use the other switch pole to switch the power to the section.

Train detection is a lot more complicated, especially if you want it to work when the controller is turned down to zero.

Andrew

Archived