Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

That's really sweet Colin. I'm often accused of not being thoughtful enough. I noticed Louise had left the TV guide open at a full page ad for a new Vax steam mop. It's her birthday next month and I'm not so daft that I can't recognize a subtle hint... I reckon she'll be thrilled.

Today I shall stiffen a bridge. I don't think I've ever said that before.

Careful not to only get the mop in case it was a very subtle hint that the kitchen floor needs cleaning ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I noticed Louise had left the TV guide open at a full page ad for a new Vax steam mop. It's her birthday next month and I'm not so daft that I can't recognize a subtle hint... I reckon she'll be thrilled.

I hope you are on firm ground with this, Pete. Had I ever bought such a practical household item as a birthday present for Deb, I am confident I know where she would have shoved it, not necessarily handle first!

Hi Pete,

I bought my first class 25 from Beatties for 4.99 in a sale, they had class 29s as well and my brother bought one of them. Think it would have been early 80s. I actually think it's not a bad body. I still have a few on Llanbourne though they have been through the works a few times. They now run with Bachmann chassis block motor and bogies so have a few years left in them yet.

Bridge looks good.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-21421900-1458299711_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

My second loco (in around 1988) was a green Hornby 25, and though it wasn't as fast as the pug which came in my train set it was a favorite up until I drifted away as most of us do. Always got a run out, even when my "flagship" was the 91 or Bullied light pacific... Probably because it was a better runner then either of those, as well as being my first 'proper' loco.

Still got it somewhere, too...

• Like 1

I hope you are on firm ground with this, Pete. Had I ever bought such a practical household item as a birthday present for Deb, I am confident I know where she would have shoved it, not necessarily handle first!

Very firm ground, Ian, so don't worry. Think "San Francisco April 18th 1906" firm. What can possibly go wrong?

:jester:

Edited by Pete 75C

Bridge has been beefed up somewhat and clearance lowered in the process. Concrete pads added for the main girder to sit on. Still needs work but I'm happy enough with it to be able to move on. Lots more brickwork to do and I need to figure out what to do with the line disappearing into the fiddle yard from Platform 1. I don't want to use another girder so I'll ponder that for a while.

post-17811-0-25540400-1458309858.jpg

• Like 8

That is an improvement on the bridge.

Building up both sides might help hide the fiddle yard access by making it a bit darker, perhaps also weathering the inside somehow of that bit so it looks a bit grubbier?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple of bridges where I've assumed that both sides were built at different times which is very common

I've used full plate girder on one side then cast girder and brick in the other like this

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-9362-0-81286700-1416150673.jpg

The wills walls are very similar to the ones on the GE round Maryland. Have a scroll through my thread

For a long girder bridge that spans multiple tracks without a central support how about this one at South Pelaw Junction...

And I was worried about just 3 tracks! Thanks for that.

• RMweb Gold

The problem is with long girders the grow proportionally in height, sometimes with more than one row of panels

I also have one that crosses two lots of four with concrete beams and cast iron girders over another two. Both with brick above them.

I quite like making bridges (and burning ones with the school!!)

• Like 2

And I was worried about just 3 tracks! Thanks for that.

And there's always Holgate bridge in York:

http://www.bridrailmodellers.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.bridrailmodellers.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Holgate.jpg&target=tlx_picp0t5

Simplistically speaking, you can cross any span you want (within reason) depending upon 1. what's being carried on the bridge and 2. the design strength (i.e. depth & thickness) of the bridge section to carry it!

Love following your progress by the way, thank you.

I found an interesting shot of the old Kings X York Road station on Wikipedia, seen below. Interesting, not because of the Class 105, and not because it was the last day of DMU service to Moorgate, but interesting (to me) for the view of Gasworks Tunnel in the background.

post-17811-0-50626800-1458487321.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

I wanted to do something different for the scenic break where the line from Platform 1 descends then disappears underneath the road bridge. The rusty girder span seems to work well for the other lines but I'm quite captivated by the tunnel mouth seen directly above the cab of the Class 105. In particular the cantilevered section of wall with fencing above. As on Croydon North Street, there will be a walkway leading from the road bridge along the backscene down to the station. With this in mind, I have a cunning plan. I made up the brick pier (below) topped with concrete blockwork. I wanted the brick pier to be a complete contrast to the existing brickwork of the road bridge so it looks like a more recent addition. Note the 3 cutouts on the reverse side. I won't give the game away in case it looks awful when finished and I bin the idea, but those cutouts are essential for what I have in mind.

Once I've mocked it up, I'll post a couple of pics.

post-17811-0-67626100-1458487790.jpg

post-17811-0-59755200-1458487791.jpg

Edit: Yes, the blockwork is Lego! I'm a lost cause, aren't I?

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I've borrowed your use of Lego brick for my layout, so you're now in good company. The 2x2 blocks are great for making 90 degree corners. Haven't been raided my son's stash though, found a great (and cheap-ish) supply on that well known auction site.

• Like 2

I like that, hope your kids have outgrown Lego or the won't have anything left!

It's my daughter's Lego. I was rummaging through it on the dining room floor yesterday morning and heard this exchange between kids...

"Where's Dad?"

"I think he's in the dining room stealing my Lego again"

"He's such a child"

"Uh huh"

There are still several odd little architectural bits I can pinch as well as loads of standard bricks which, as Geep7 says, are ideal for corner stiffeners when assembling a building. Someone (was it Cromptonnut?) mentioned a cheap source of standard size Lego-clone bricks which would be better as stiffeners than wasting the genuine Danish stuff.

I need to play with some more Lego make up the opposite pier today and see if the scenic break idea looks ok or awful.

Someone (was it Cromptonnut?) mentioned a cheap source of standard size Lego-clone bricks which would be better as stiffeners than wasting the genuine Danish stuff.

It was, there was a load in Lidl a few weeks ago, £2.50 for 40 4x2 bricks if I remember correctly, in convenient little tubs that when empty would be great for storing scatter, ballast and similar.

Not sure if it's still there.  It's called "Blox".

It was, there was a load in Lidl a few weeks ago, £2.50 for 40 4x2 bricks if I remember correctly, in convenient little tubs that when empty would be great for storing scatter, ballast and similar.

Not sure if it's still there.  It's called "Blox".

Thanks. By strange coincidence, my wife wants me to pop into Lidl in Cromer for mayo and balsamic vinegar (?) next time I'm passing, so I'll have a look.

Thanks. By strange coincidence, my wife wants me to pop into Lidl in Cromer for mayo and balsamic vinegar (?) next time I'm passing, so I'll have a look.

It was in the little wire mesh "strange things that don't really belong in a food supermarket" bins, alongside the cycling helmets, thick socks and drills.  But they do have some great stuff in that section from time to time.

• Like 1

It was in the little wire mesh "strange things that don't really belong in a food supermarket" bins, alongside the cycling helmets, thick socks and drills.  But they do have some great stuff in that section from time to time.

What a friend of mine calls 'the central aisle of joy' B) Edited by Del
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is (roughly) what I was trying to achieve with the scenic break on the line down from Platform 1. You'll need to imagine a wall on the edge of the plastic sheet that I've roughly cut to fit. I think it looks OK and solves the problem of how to get the walkway from the road bridge parallel to the backscene. It's different, at least, and creates some interest in an awkward corner. I'm still not entirely sure how prototypical it is, although I've seen similar cantilevered roadways/walkways before.

wp_141.jpg

wp_142.jpg

Reminds me of the tunnel portals on the widened lines at Barbican and Farringdon, so goes well with your split level platforms. Great stuff.