Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

Fantastic work Pete!  Really nice layout.  Have just seen the thread for first time and skimmed through it all.  Will never get my woodwork as good as yours.  Keep it up.

Slightly off recent topics on the thread what/from where is the paving on the platform edge just behind the white lines?  It looks excellent. 

Pete, as the first barrier crossings were introduced in the 1960s there is no reason for you to use gates. I clearly remember using West Barnes Lane crossing near Raynes Park in the 1970s and it was a barrier crossing with flashing lights.

Terry

• Like 1

Slightly off recent topics on the thread what/from where is the paving on the platform edge just behind the white lines?  It looks excellent. 

1/32 scale paving slabs by Juweela, suppliers of wargaming scenery. They're actually ceramic and work out at 15mm x 15mm per slab (just under 4ft x 4ft), possibly a little overscale for platform edging stones but they work well. They come in light grey, dark grey and buff and I went for the dark grey ones. They come with a matt finish and being ceramic, they can be lightly sanded which I had to do as the depth (approx 1.4mm) is not constant. The white lines were masked and sprayed over the edging stones once they'd been laid. You can get a box of 180 on ebay but be warned... as they're ceramic, they're fragile. There were several broken pieces in the box and I've already chipped a couple which need replacing. If I'm honest, if I were to do it again, I'd probably cut squares out of 1mm plastic sheet and simply spray them with grey primer.

post-17811-0-23823100-1464672978.jpg

...this level crossing lark is making for an interesting read - will be following to see the outcome haha

I know. Maybe another bridge would have been easier!

Thanks for all the info re: crossings. As much as I like the traincrew operated gates at Leiston... the flimsy tubular overlapping gates hanging from those ridiculously massive girders... that might have to be an idea filed away for another layout.

I still like the idea of gates, but barriers would seem more appropriate for such an urban location in this timeframe. The question is... which barriers? I've had a little search for what's available and I'm not discounting the various continental HO scale offerings. Viessmann and Faller would appear to do barriers with hanging skirts, but at a price I don't really want to pay and I can't imagine scratchbuilding the skirts... that sounds way too fiddly. The Hornby/Peco ones don't seem to look very realistic to me? Maybe I'm just being fussy.

Barriers it is, I just need to figure out which ones. At least as trains won't actually be crossing the road, they don't have to work, so I can do without lights and motors and just model the barriers open to road traffic.

Thanks again... lots to think about.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

Manned gates isn't that much of a stretch for the 80s really if the line is a lightly used backwater. It's not that long ago that Frinton lost its gates, and there are no doubt still plenty of others that could be cited.

Manned gates isn't that much of a stretch for the 80s really if the line is a lightly used backwater. It's not that long ago that Frinton lost its gates, and there are no doubt still plenty of others that could be cited.

Spanner in works. Ignore me... I'm thinking aloud, but I still like the visual appeal of gates. Unable to find barriers in OO or HO that appealed, I keep coming back to gates! A quick bit of research, and there were plenty of gated crossings around in the 1980s. Plumpton (below) and Uckfield (flickr link) are excellent examples. Both right by stations. I might need a signal box... More work.

post-17811-0-28298400-1464681508.jpg

© Copyright nick macneill and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Uckfield level crossing circa 1989 (I think it lasted until 1991 when the station was resited):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_livings/6750613411

Edit: A nice YouTube video of the Uckfield gates in action, circa 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqugLX52UE&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

A slightly dilapidated manual box on the other side of the crossing. Possibly with semaphore signals still. You could use it to disguise the hole in the backscene.

Not sure about the semaphores, but the Gospel Oak to Barking line is still signaled from manual boxes (maybe with a panel inside it, but it's still that kind of structure). Feels very Forgotten Backwater to me...

Edit- semaphores around Holloway on the GOB line survived at least into privatisation era, as there are pictures online of class 66 locos passing them.

Edited by Zomboid

• RMweb Gold

A slightly dilapidated manual box on the other side of the crossing. Possibly with semaphore signals still. You could use it to disguise the hole in the backscene.

Not sure about the semaphores, but the Gospel Oak to Barking line is still signaled from manual boxes (maybe with a panel inside it, but it's still that kind of structure). Feels very Forgotten Backwater to me...

Edit- semaphores around Holloway on the GOB line survived at least into privatisation era, as there are pictures online of class 66 locos passing them.

Hi,

Been following this thread silently since the start and thoroughly enjoying it. If you wanted to include Semaphores the Southern's south cost line (Brighton - Hastings) still had some up to last year (possibly the year before but well past the time you are modelling).

Gary

Egginton, Derbys

Manually operated gated crossing in regular use (at least twice hourly) on Derby to Uttoxeter line.

Note gates are truly manual (pic 2) and they close only to one side for the railway.

http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/276452/Article/images/21520173/1258825-large.jpg

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8893/18178190676_500863bbf1.jpg

Edit: added 'y' to create 'they'

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Egginton, Derbys

Manually operated gated crossing in regular use (at least twice hourly) on Derby to Uttoxeter line.

Note gates are truly manual (pic 2) and they close only to one side for the railway.

http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/276452/Article/images/21520173/1258825-large.jpg

Plumpton only lost its gates in the last few months. There was a row over replacing them, the crossing was closed and the village cut in two for several weeks.

Terry

OK. Gates it is. I shall be ultra-unadventurous and get hold of a Peco LK-50 kit and see if I can make the gates look a little weather-beaten. I think some kind of crossing box on the opposite side of the road to the station would look good. As for semaphores, I'm not so sure. I had planned on a two-aspect colour light at the level crossing end of Platform 2 fixed at red for terminating trains and maybe a two or three-aspect for Platform 3 to take trains over the crossing. We'll see.

I've found a use for the Knightwing palisade fencing and have made a secure area adjacent to the parcels office. One small gate onto Platform 3 and a bigger gate opening to a vehicle loading dock at the entrance to the station car park. It's not a massive space, but a few Brute trollies and some parcels clutter should make it look ok. I'll finish it off over the next day or two and take some pictures.

• Like 6

Egginton, Derbys

In case it wasn't obvious, the portacabin type structure is the 'box' and there is a lever framed adjacent which releases the gate lock, this in turn is interlocked with the signalling either side.

Pete, if you want some detail pics I can oblige, it's only a mile or so from me.

• Like 1

If it's permanantly red you might want to consider a single aspect signal, such as you'll find on the Down Flyover platform at Surbiton in the up direction (for when trains from Hampton Court terminate there).

Though to be honest I'd go with the semaphores...

• Like 1

If it's permanantly red you might want to consider a single aspect signal, such as you'll find on the Down Flyover platform at Surbiton in the up direction (for when trains from Hampton Court terminate there).

Though to be honest I'd go with the semaphores...

....or a stop board?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OK. Gates it is. I shall be ultra-unadventurous and get hold of a Peco LK-50 kit and see if I can make the gates look a little weather-beaten. I think some kind of crossing box on the opposite side of the road to the station would look good. As for semaphores, I'm not so sure. I had planned on a two-aspect colour light at the level crossing end of Platform 2 fixed at red for terminating trains and maybe a two or three-aspect for Platform 3 to take trains over the crossing. We'll see.

I've found a use for the Knightwing palisade fencing and have made a secure area adjacent to the parcels office. One small gate onto Platform 3 and a bigger gate opening to a vehicle loading dock at the entrance to the station car park. It's not a massive space, but a few Brute trollies and some parcels clutter should make it look ok. I'll finish it off over the next day or two and take some pictures.

Pete ,don't buy any yet. I made a four gate hybrid out of ratio and peco parts if I can find them you are welcome to them

• RMweb Gold

It has been done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDDSB8r-Y7Q Have seen it live, stunning. Built from scratch. I would agree gates too though in this case. I can't even see half the details on these let alone figure out how to reproduce it!

Rich

Realistic to the point of all red lights illuminate then two extinguish. Just like the real thing (means there is always a red light illuminated so you won't get away with claiming you must have looked at them during the gap between phases).

Paul.

• Like 1

All this talk of level crossings has been good reading :)

I'm planning to base the one for my layout on this one, which requires a box and full length barriers with skirts, which counts the peco/ratio types out really, so suspect scratch building is in my future.

• Like 2

It has been done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDDSB8r-Y7Q Have seen it live, stunning. Built from scratch. I would agree gates too though in this case. I can't even see half the details on these let alone figure out how to reproduce it!

Rich

This in case you didn't know is off ravensclyffe on here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3288-ravensclyffe/?p=23801

You could always ask how he did it?

David

• Like 1

Pete, if you want some detail pics I can oblige, it's only a mile or so from me.

Andy... I have a fondness for Uckfield the way it was (old station, late 80s) so may use that as a template. That said, do grab some shots but don't make a special trip. It does look like an inspirational arrangement.

If it's permanantly red you might want to consider a single aspect signal...

Does anyone make one? I'm not about to try and make one from scratch. Yes, semaphores are appealing but then I'd need point rodding which isn't so appealing!

Or just truncate platform 2 in buffers and only have one continuing over the crossing...

Ah cr@p. Now that is a good idea...

It has been done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDDSB8r-Y7Q Have seen it live, stunning.

That is a thing of beauty, and if I'm honest, enough to put me off the Faller and Viessman barriers that have skirts. They look incredibly clumsy by comparison but to be fair, they're mass-produced. According to the comments I read on YouTube, Dagworth spent around 100 hours on it. I was particularly amused by the "How much plus shipping?" comment. Outstanding. If I thought I could ever achieve something similar, barriers would win hands down over gates.

Pete ,don't buy any yet. I made a four gate hybrid out of ratio and peco parts if I can find them you are welcome to them

. I've just ordered the LK-50 from ebay's mysterious "kitlady"...

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember something in the news a while back that some snobbish East Coast seaside resort were complaining that changing the gates to barriers would lower the tone of the place and attract the riff-raf in.

Frinton, aforementioned in this thread.

Paul.