First attempt at building points

philsandy

I'm about to attempt at building some pointwork (an A5) for the first time in EM, using C&L components with plywood sleepers.

Two questions:

I'm a bit unsure on the types of chairs needed.

Just ordinary chairs and slide chairs, and then any special ones required be made by cutting/trimming the ordinary chairs?

Also the thickness of plywood sleepers.

Using 0.8mm sleepers would match the rail height of C&L or SMP flexitrack.

Or would it be better to use the 1.6mm sleepers to give a more robust construction, and then pack up the flexitrack by 0.8 mm to match the point rail height?

I'm about to attempt at building some pointwork (an A5) for the first time in EM, using C&L components with plywood sleepers.

Two questions:

I'm a bit unsure on the types of chairs needed.

Just ordinary chairs and slide chairs, and then any special ones required be made by cutting/trimming the ordinary chairs?

Also the thickness of plywood sleepers.

Using 0.8mm sleepers would match the rail height of C&L or SMP flexitrack.

Or would it be better to use the 1.6mm sleepers to give a more robust construction, and then pack up the flexitrack by 0.8 mm to match the point rail height?

0.8 mm sleepers are fine.

• RMweb Gold

Morning mate, I've just made a couple of turnouts using 1.6 thick wooden sleepers and exactoscale chairs (I find these much better than the C&l ones) I've just used normal chairs an slide chairs and chopped them up accordingly for the special chairs. If you go to the last few pages on my Edgelane Junction thread you'll see how I did them.

Hope this helps and good luck, Paul

Archived