Rydalmere, NSWGR

hartleymartin

At yesterday's Aus7 Forum at North Sydney, I was passed a photocopy of an old station drawing for Rydalmere. I've never been able to accurately determine the track layout from aerial photos, street photos, and never been able to locate a signal diagram. Turns out that there is no signal box. The whole lot is operated from ground frames, unlocked with the token that must be carried by the driver.

So, I found that the loop siding has a mere 100 foot capacity - officially this is 5x four-wheel goods vehicles. It isn't a passing loop, but was originally a loop siding. Yes, the prototype had a double-slip. The two short dead-end sidings could hole one bogie vehicle, so apparently were only about 50 or 60 feet long past the clearance point.

The scene has been compressed slightly. The loop and siding capacities remain as per the prototype, but smaller pointwork was used to save length. The layout is drawn for Peco Code 124 points - prototype NSWGR No.6 points are more or less the same size.

I originally drew the diagram for a 750mm deep baseboard, but provided a second set of lines as everything would fit in a 600mm deep baseboard. On the prototype the loading siding curved around slightly towards the front, but if left straight, or even curved back the other way a little it would help compress the depth slightly.

10410290_10153593662996251_2013513451757

The station yard is very compact because it had to fit between the road and the creek. It was originally built in the 1890s back when 5 four-wheelers behind a small tank engine was probably a full load, especially when you consider the the line had a ruling grade of 1 in 37 against the load!

A couple of photos of the prototype. These date from about 1990. The goods services on the line had ended in 1977. The bridge from where the first photo was taken was opened in 1963. The overhead electric line was put into service in 1959. The double-slip and the long siding was opened in 1951. So, to operate this as a steam layout I need to have it from 1951 to 1959. Thank goodness that my preferred carriage paint scheme (all over Indian Red) was introduced in 1954, and some of my favourite goods wagons (the "D" type) were withdrawn in 1956.

rydalmere03.jpg

rydalmere01.jpg

It would be hard to find a smaller yard in NSW.

So now I look forward to seeing some baseboards with track on them Martin.

Bob Comerford

I second this comment Bob

Time for talk is over !

Time to "Do" is now.

Time for Happy ModelOing Martin

Went to Bergs today. The double slip is $265. I think I have all the other necessary track though.

Martin have a look on line you may turn up a slip a bit cheaper.

Or

If you can wait a few days I will check what price I can get one for when I get home

I need a few box boxes of Peco flex any way used up what I had left on my little diorama even had to use some from my work shop test track to finish the sector plate. So will get a price for you when I put the order for the boxes of flex in. ( with a bit of luck the wholesaler has a D/S in stock)

PM me your phone number or SMS it as I think you already have my number via PM

I also replied to your PM re a lend of some stock for exhibition all OK.

$265...!!!!??

How much is 4 metres of rail and some pc board sleepers?

If you want to spend money invest in a Fast tracks filing jig for the rail section you would like to use. Better still, if you know someone with one, borrow it :>)

regards

Bob

Archived