7mm Class 123 Intercity DMU

Hi Phill,

I have a dmu book with all classes in including some good pics of the class 123 if you want to borrow.

Yes that would be great Rob :)

Phil,

Some useful info on emgauge70s website, could be 'upscaled'.

Sorry can't seem to post a weblink :(

Thank's Andy ,That's a very useful guide to kit-bashing one........I'm toying with the idea of scaling that up using Lima 7mm Mk1 's :)

We've done an etched brass 124, which the trailer second use the same body. Also the under frame gubbings are very similar if that helps. That is one of the units I'd like to do as well, it's the glazing on the front is the main obstacle.

Michael

Thanks Mike, I want to concentrate on the driving cars first & I would be interested in the common underfame gubbins for the driving cars ?

Hi Phil, have a word with Allen Doherty at Worsley Works, he advertises that he does the 123's sides in brass for 4mm, but he very amiable at doing the etches in other gauges, he did a Gloucester Class 100 set for me, which I will be finishing with Shawn's Easybuild components and details.

PM me if you want any more info ?

Best regards

Craig.

Thanks Mike, I want to concentrate on the driving cars first & I would be interested in the common underfame gubbins for the driving cars ?

Phil I have some 4mm scale drawings that the late Alistair Rolfe "NNK Cardiff" did for me before his premature death, I will be happy to scan these and email them to you.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Phil, have a word with Allen Doherty at Worsley Works, he advertises that he does the 123's sides in brass for 4mm, but he very amiable at doing the etches in other gauges, he did a Gloucester Class 100 set for me, which I will be finishing with Shawn's Easybuild components and details.

PM me if you want any more info ?

Best regards

Craig.

Thank's Craig, I think I can do the driving cars using Lima BSK sides, but I'm still mulling that one over :scratchhead:

Phil I have some 4mm scale drawings that the late Alistair Rolfe "NNK Cardiff" did for me before his premature death, I will be happy to scan these and email them to you.

Best regards

Craig.

That would be brilliant !.........I will pm you my email  :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with this project Phill.  I've wanted a model of a Class 123 since the 1970s and thanks to a kindly guard, was fortunate enough to get a short ride in the rear cab of one, en route to Oxford many moons ago.

There was a layout at Telford in (I think), 2014, that a had a very passable Class 123 running around (I think it may have been a "Woodhead" themed layout, if that narrows it down?).  I spoke to the 123's builder and believe he may have used Lima Mk1s* as a basis, with scratch built cabs.  I mentioned that an article in the "Gazette" would probably be well received, if he ever found the time to put pen to paper.

*You probably already know this, but although the 123 was outwardly similar to the Mk1 coach, it had shallower windows and a totally different body profile.  Some years ago, I tried to make a 123 cab by utilising the end of a Tri-ang "Big, Big" Mk2, but found the brittle plastic a nightmare to work with and lost interest pretty fast!  If a decent set of drawings ever presented themselves to me, I'd have a go a drawing the cabs in 3D and getting some prints done, though I will concede, the wrap around windscreens might prove a bit tricky!  If the cabs look right though, everything else should be relatively easy, by comparison.

Regards

Dan

Good luck with this project Phill.  I've wanted a model of a Class 123 since the 1970s and thanks to a kindly guard, was fortunate enough to get a short ride in the rear cab of one, en route to Oxford many moons ago.

There was a layout at Telford in (I think), 2014, that a had a very passable Class 123 running around (I think it may have been a "Woodhead" themed layout, if that narrows it down?).  I spoke to the 123's builder and believe he may have used Lima Mk1s* as a basis, with scratch built cabs.  I mentioned that an article in the "Gazette" would probably be well received, if he ever found the time to put pen to paper.

*You probably already know this, but although the 123 was outwardly similar to the Mk1 coach, it had shallower windows and a totally different body profile.  Some years ago, I tried to make a 123 cab by utilising the end of a Tri-ang "Big, Big" Mk2, but found the brittle plastic a nightmare to work with and lost interest pretty fast!  If a decent set of drawings ever presented themselves to me, I'd have a go a drawing the cabs in 3D and getting some prints done, though I will concede, the wrap around windscreens might prove a bit tricky!  If the cabs look right though, everything else should be relatively easy, by comparison.

Regards

Dan

I think this is the one you were thinking of Dan. It looks very Limaish.

post-7290-0-51283900-1446586632_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for the replies guys........plenty of food for thought to be going on with :)

My initial thoughts are to experiment with a Lima BSK . Dan I had not thought about using a Big Big end, this may be worth experimenting with too unless some kind person comes up with a 3D print or a resin casting?  :scratchhead: ..........I wonder if your difficulties were a result of using a Russian Novo end rather than a British Triang end? 

I think a lot of us were admiring that Lima bashed 123 at Telford 2014 & I too managed a couple of pics, but the builder was not around at the time.........

post-6992-0-23224500-1446590020.png

post-6992-0-57921600-1446590253_thumb.png

When we've done the wrap round windows for the 124 the last time tried gently heating the glazing with the hot air bit on a gas soldering iron whilst holding the glazing round a dowel. Worked reasonably well. The end itself shouldn't be too difficult, it's the glazing that's the not so fun bit.

Best regards

Craig.

Can I be cheeky and request a copy as well please

Regards

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

In N I have used pacakging plastic for the curved screens on a 442 kit. Perhaps a piece of packaging around XX?? will work out - ant it might taste nice trying  to find out !

Always fond of the 123 units so watch with  interest - I have parts of an MTK to build in N/2mm cabs grafted on to Farish mk1s and window  inlays - blue grey livery.. now at least a decent chassis is available.

Have fun and will watch from the sidelines !

Robert   

Hi,

In N I have used pacakging plastic for the curved screens on a 442 kit. Perhaps a piece of packaging around XX?? will work out - ant it might taste nice trying  to find out !

Have fun and will watch from the sidelines !

Robert   

Yes Robert, I'm sure I can find some suitable packaging for those windscreens ;)

Ladies & Gentlemen, are there any other modellers or modellers who you know that are interested in acquiring some Class 123 parts ? cab ends, sides etc, if there are could they register some initial interest on here firstly ?

Phil & I are making some enquiries on parts etc, and if there are few more people involved it may help to spread the costs and inevitably become a cheaper project for those involved.

Best regards

Craig.

Archived