Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Steam World.

Keith George

... and an increasing tendency for commentary on the conservation societies creeping in. A different interest! 

Unfortunately I think we have to face it that Steam World has always relied a lot on personal reflection and as anyone who worked on the steam railways has to be at a minimum close to 70 years of age the pool of persons wanting and able to write such articles must be fast reducing, whereas photographs of the 1960s appear endless (happily!). In recent times I've been reading a friends copy of Steam Railway which is supposed to be about the conservation scene. I have been surprised at how much in there seems to be about real railways which I would have been pleased to read in Steam World. Both are from the Bauer stable.

Paul

Yes of course that is very true,  but Backtrack  and Steam Days are still finding plenty of content.

To be trueful, as I see it,  Steam World seems to have gone downhill since Dibber  of this forum left.

Keith.

But he has been working for 50 years, he deserves a partial retirement!

I'm not defending SW. I enjoy it because it discusses how the railway was run and therefore it has its own niche - with BRILL and Bylines  the main competition but limited by their insistence on "The Black and white days"! Both Backtrack and Steam Days are different magazines with different niche. Backtrack in particular is a historical journal with a reasonable post steam content; I doubt many of their articles would find a place in SW. I have BT from part zero. Personally I think our side of the hobby - modelling - has altered so much that there is now a role for Modellers Backtrack to be resurrected but that is a different discussion.

Paul

I don't consider it to be right to comment on a magazine that I used to edit but I think there are a couple of general points to be made. Firstly, I love the photographs. I would happily have filled SW with pictures just to see great railway photographs on that fabulous paper which SW uses. As an Editor one is reliant upon finding untapped sources of photographs and SW seems at the moment to have found a lot of material which I didn't have access to. Secondly, as far as reading matter is concerned, a major series started just before I finished, with Ron Herbert's autobiographical piece about Preston control. That was set to run for a good number of issues and with Ron's own photographs, too. I don't think we'd had anything like that since Dick Hardy's material back in the 1990s. That, in my view, would be worth the price of the mag, on its own. (CJL)

Archived