CSX 2000s layout

CSX2004

I do like the CSX YN2 "Bright Future" livery. Was quite surprised recently to find out how old it is, & how much it's been replaced by YN3 Dark Future.

I'm more used to the Soo Line/CP Rail "why re-paint when black patch will do?" attitude.... :D

I like the [..CSX..] logo. "Bright future" definitely the nicer colour scheme.

I like the [..CSX..] logo. "Bright future" definitely the nicer colour scheme.

All my locomotives are painted in the ''Bright future'' paint scheme, but have one in '' Dark future'' scheme. It´s a Bachman model I detailed, note I moved the horn from the front to near the fans.

post-27557-0-56131100-1446927186.jpg

post-27557-0-00665200-1446927276.jpg

I dunno, I prefer Dark Future in the flesh - Bright Future tends to look wishy washy in the bright Sun. Of course it is always sunny over here.....

Now I’m following.

Best, Pete.

I prefer also Dark Future, but there´re not many Dark Future Geep models to buy.

Not getting much done on the layout but want to start doing scenery on the modules. Need to find a good material to use as basic ground cover, want the dusty with wild grass look. BTW my concern is what industries will be on the layout and tweaking the track plan to have fun when operating the layout. All the spurs are facing the same direction but have had thoughts about adding a new spur facing the other way. Now, If I put that spur, will need a runaround and won´t be able to use one track as storage track. I´m also thinking about lengthening the industrial spurs and maybe to put an interchange. Do you think is plausible to have an interchange near the industries served by my prototype?.

I now believe that a runaround loop is a must for a small layout it adds visual and operational interest.

If you have a large loop your loco has to go from one end of the layout and maximizes the run time.

Not sure what you mean by having an interchange near by?

I mean If is plausible in a small layout having an interchange track and industries served by the same local train?. I suppose that the prototype first will pull the inbound cars from the interchange to the yard and another job will bring those new cars to the industries by the interchange.

An alternative would be a pair of sidings beside a double track main (or a double ended siding on a bi-directional single track main) - a westbound freight comes through overnight - collects any waiting cars and drops the replacements off. Local Switcher distributes them and  restocks the interchange with eastern out-bounds. Eastbound freight comes through mid afternoon - collects the waiting cars and drops any for local distribution. Switcher distributes them, picks up westbound out-bounds and places them back on the interchange .....ad infinitum. All this doesn't happen on your shift, of course - so you have an excuse to do different jobs each time. Pick which shift you fancy working today! Excellent article on this in a wayback MR - the index will find it - I believe it is called "Shift Time"

An alternative would be a pair of sidings beside a double track main (or a double ended siding on a bi-directional single track main) - a westbound freight comes through overnight - collects any waiting cars and drops the replacements off. Local Switcher distributes them and  restocks the interchange with eastern out-bounds. Eastbound freight comes through mid afternoon - collects the waiting cars and drops any for local distribution. Switcher distributes them, picks up westbound out-bounds and places them back on the interchange .....ad infinitum. All this doesn't happen on your shift, of course - so you have an excuse to do different jobs each time. Pick which shift you fancy working today! Excellent article on this in a wayback MR - the index will find it - I believe it is called "Shift Time"

Are all thoses jobs done by the same railroad or different roads?. I model only CSX, maybe will be more plausible a transfer job.

Freights are main line, switcher is a short line - could both be same company if that suits - or could be a belt line/ industrial/urban/interurban your choice. Switcher may be privately owned, or leased, by a consortium of industries or the community/township/county.   Article was in MR April 83 pp86

Here is an example near me where the industry spurs used to all be in the same direction. When they built the York University Busway they needed to use the space where the feed to one of them was, so they built a passing loop and a feed from the other direction. The local freight comes out of the main yard (NW of the location) onto the CN main, and then takes the chord onto the N-S line (the CN, now GO Newmarket Sub).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7670213,-79.482436,15.57z?hl=en

Adrian

Dear Adrian, RM-webbers et al...

To use this "off the main" trackage as a run-around for a Northbound train would be to tie up the Main for a significant period and distance,
(the "rest of the train" which is not destined for the tank-farm, but for points-North of here,
has to be stashed somewhere while the "runaround move" is on...),

concievably blocking the Main all the way back (South) to the Sheppard Ave Overpass and possibly beyond.

If we assume that the red arrow on the GoogleMaps page is North,
I'm a little confused about the geographic relationship of the Originating "NW yard", the "Chord to NS", and the "runaround" in question?

I'd also love to know how much York Uni paid to have the turnouts and spurs reconfigured...
(It can't be a "we don't like grade crossings" issue, as there is still one accomodating the "Main"?!?!?!)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS L.I.Jack, by all means if "more track = more interest", then go right ahead  :yes:  :imsohappy:

However, being "a must"  :rtfm: 
(esp on small/micro layouts where eating even 1/2" of linear length with anything unnecessary is not only wasteful,
but theatens the visual and mechanical optimisation of what little resources such a layout has available) 

is IMHO an big brush to paint with... ;)

Dear Adrian, RM-webbers et al...

To use this "off the main" trackage as a run-around for a Northbound train would be to tie up the Main for a significant period and distance,

(the "rest of the train" which is not destined for the tank-farm, but for points-North of here,

has to be stashed somewhere while the "runaround move" is on...),

concievably blocking the Main all the way back (South) to the Sheppard Ave Overpass and possibly beyond.

If we assume that the red arrow on the GoogleMaps page is North,

I'm a little confused about the geographic relationship of the Originating "NW yard", the "Chord to NS", and the "runaround" in question?

I'd also love to know how much York Uni paid to have the turnouts and spurs reconfigured...

(It can't be a "we don't like grade crossings" issue, as there is still one accomodating the "Main"?!?!?!)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS L.I.Jack, by all means if "more track = more interest", then go right ahead  :yes:  :imsohappy:

However, being "a must"  :rtfm: 

(esp on small/micro layouts where eating even 1/2" of linear length with anything unnecessary is not only wasteful,

but theatens the visual and mechanical optimisation of what little resources such a layout has available) 

is IMHO an big brush to paint with... ;)

There are only, I believe, 7 rail-served businesses on the whole Newmarket sub between Toronto and Barrie. Three of them are at this location, one, which takes covered hoppers of plastic beads, is on the S to W chord at Snider, while there are at least 3 more further north (2 lumber yards and an industry that takes tank cars).

Edit: There are 8 industries, as there is another one on the east side across from the northern tank farm.

At the moment, the only conflicting traffic there is 7 GO Trains southbound in the morning rush and 7 northbound in the afternoon rush, so there is plenty of time to block the main during the day. This will change when bi-directional GO service starts. They have already installed loops and signals on the line up to Barrie, although I'm not sure whether all the signals are operational yet. From Snider (just to the north of this location) all the way to Barrie used to be 'dark' territory.

As for the geography, if you follow the line north you will see a second loop just to the north (at York University station) followed by the grade separation at what used to be the Snider diamond. The chord track (N to W) takes you onto the CN main line, and just to the west of that is the junction into the massive CN yard to the north of the main line.

The busway (which was a TTC project to provide a temporary direct link to York University until the subway extension was completed) crosses the line at a grade crossing. The issue was that the ladder of switches feeding that facility was exactly where they wanted to put the grade crossing - that is a hydro (electrical transmission line) and, I think, pipeline corridor so there were some constraints on where the road could go. As I understand it, the ladder of switches and the passing loop were all paid for out of the busway budget.

post-206-0-56198600-1447245379.jpg

Adrian

One of the industries on the layout will be a logistics warehouse that gets boxcars with food, general consumer goods and paper. Don´t like what´s avalaible on the market and I´m scratchbuilding the structure with styrene sheet. This building will be used as a flat building and it´s a little flimsy, need to figure out how to make it sturdy.

post-27557-0-39317700-1447405411_thumb.jpg

Archived