Stainless steel vs C&L HiNi track

MikeH_83

I am soon going to be starting on my new large ish layout and I am planning to make it using Handbuilt track.  With it being a large ish layout I am wondering if it would be better (for keeping track clean) to use DCC Concepts Stainless steel track rather than the HiNi stuff you can get from c&l?  Has anyone used it?

Thanks

How much experience have you had soldering SS? While it is far from impossible, it's a lot more demanding than n/s, both in cleaning/preparing before applying the solder and in the need for (immediate) after-solder flux clear-up - and FWIW the first few joints I 'made' had near to zero structural strength (but maybe I'm just ham-fisted?). SS is also harder to cut and file, but providing you have good equipment that should not matter too much. Personally I just prefer working with n/s, but it will be interesting to see what others think.

I have not used the DCC Concepts stainless rail but many years ago when I modeled in N gauge I used Minitrix track in my fiddle yards. At that time it was made with stainless steel rail and I found no real problem soldering to it. Clean the rail immediately before soldering preferably with a fine file or wire wool to lightly abrade the surface. Use a phosphoric acid flux (Carrs brown I think, although I got some from the chem lab where I worked). I used normal tin/lead rosin cored solder and cleaned the joint well afterwards.

There is some information here about soldering stainless steel

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=150

Brian

You could always ask DCC Concepts or even read <http://www.dccconcepts.com/track-trackmaking-parts/dccconcepts-track-and-trackmaking-parts/rail-bullhead-4mm-scale-stainless-steel-l-960mm-10-pack>

There's also <http://www.dccconcepts.com/vamr/brm-magazine-dccconcepts-legacy-point-kit>

I've never used any of this but it's probably a good idea to see what the supplier has to say about his propduct . . .

HTH,

Stan

How much experience have you had soldering SS? While it is far from impossible, it's a lot more demanding than n/s, both in cleaning/preparing before applying the solder and in the need for (immediate) after-solder flux clear-up - and FWIW the first few joints I 'made' had near to zero structural strength (but maybe I'm just ham-fisted?). SS is also harder to cut and file, but providing you have good equipment that should not matter too much. Personally I just prefer working with n/s, but it will be interesting to see what others think.

Iv'e had no experience in soldering SS, n/s would be easier due to being able to get common crossings and blades ready made if need be, with ss I would have to file for the vee and the blades,  Maybe I might pick up a few bits and test it out.

I have not used the DCC Concepts stainless rail but many years ago when I modeled in N gauge I used Minitrix track in my fiddle yards. At that time it was made with stainless steel rail and I found no real problem soldering to it. Clean the rail immediately before soldering preferably with a fine file or wire wool to lightly abrade the surface. Use a phosphoric acid flux (Carrs brown I think, although I got some from the chem lab where I worked). I used normal tin/lead rosin cored solder and cleaned the joint well afterwards.

There is some information here about soldering stainless steel

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=150

Brian

Thanks for that info!  I am mainly thinking about it due to the "extra grip" that the manufacturer claims over n/s and also the fact that it doesn't get as dirty as quick which should promote better running..

Not mine! Hence the need for so much cleaning. and why most of my track is now steel.

Regards

Steel would be nice but I will be a little concerned about rusting over the years.. or me missing abit when cleaning after soldering..  Much to think about!

Here is some steel rail that I have found that has been left where the new layout has been for about 20 years!  My only issue with steel track would be risk of rust especially where I solder joiners to it (although I would get a neutralizing agent for the flux) and just general effects over being in the loft.  However if it won't be much of an issue then maybe steel is the better choice?  But there must be a reason most use n/s I guess

Cheers

Edit:  I actually found one bit of steel track fully rusted :(

post-24029-0-41514500-1447071717_thumb.jpg

post-24029-0-54940200-1447071719_thumb.jpg

post-24029-0-94232900-1447071721_thumb.jpg

Archived