Jencaster - 1930's LMS OO Gauge Layout

ianLMS

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here are a few little side projects I have been working on lately - I am trying to work my way through my box of kits and still have loads to do. Some of them are complete build kits, and some are detailing kits/parts for RTR loco's. 

First up is a Western Precision Cotswold 3F Jinty - this appeared to be a very old kit, with chunky white metal castings, a solid brass chassis and very few detailing items. The kit took a lot of fettling to get it to fit correctly as the tanks didnt line up with the boiler so was either too wide, or pushed the boiler too far forward. I managed to file a lots off, fill the gaps with low melt and make a half decent job of it. I put the solid chassis to one side and used a Comet one instead, Romford wheels and a Comet gearbox. The motor is a Matsui one. I am at the priming stage and have yet to fit pick ups etc. Chassis works fine under power. I made some sand boxes out of styrene and other details from the scrap box. I used etched coal rails from a Brassmasters kit (much better than the WM one supplied), Bachmann sprung buffers and I will fit my couplings and hoses etc after painting.

One thing I did notice though on the Comet 3F chassis, the middle bearing position is higher than the outer two. I assume its to factor in the centre rubber tyres wheel. I cut out the area where the bearing sits, lowered it, and then re-soldered. I could have gone sown the hornblock route which is probably the best thing to do, but as always, I am far too imaptient to wait for them to arrive, remove the bearings etc and fit them.

I have also been building a few Parkside Dundas kits - 2 cattle vans, a fish van and a CCT. These went together easily and I am part way through fitting my couplings and weathering them.

Last up is a Railroad Hornby Patriot I have had for a while. I removed the moulded ejector pipe, moulded handrails on the cab, the thick plastic smoke deflectors, over thick boiler banding, part of the chunky metal valve gear, the horrendous front bogie and couplings.

I replaced the ejector pipe with 1mm brass rod, bent to shape, the handrails with .45 brass rod and Gibson short handrail knobs, fitted Etched smoke deflectors from Phoenix Precision, Comet etched brass front bogie with Romford wheels, re-painted using Pheonix Crimson Lake and lined it (incorrect yellow mind and not very well done I have to admit) using HMRS loco lining. I also fitted my magnetic couplings. I replaced the glass with Krystal Klear and its now ready for weathering.

post-21193-0-55484900-1542963878_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-55309300-1542963889_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-64993500-1542963900_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-94692000-1542963920_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-92601600-1542963929_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-13632200-1542963937_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The quality of the RTR stuff now is just superb, as is the quality of the high end kits such as Brassmasters etc. But, even with the best kit on the market, I could never match the build quality, detail or running qualities of the latest RTR. However, I like the challenge of building things, learning new skills, over-coming issues and theres no better way to practice than on an old cheap kit like this.

I also have several detailing kits for my RTR from Brassmasters so will work on them soon. I have two Jameison kits (a Patriot & a Jubilee) which look more like scratchbuilding aides that a proper kit - It does say they are sheet metal kits, so I might wait a little while to get better skills before under taking those little projects!

Had an excellent day at Warely on Saturday - never have I seen the queue as big as it was at 0830, and the place was heaving. I hope the numbers of visitors are well up this year. If they are, I would say the Channel 5 programme was the main factor! Seemed to be plnety of children which was great to see - helped by the £1 entry fee I guess. The only downside is I spent way more than I should have done!!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Update of my progress on the Cotswold 3F Jinty.

I have a seperate thread discussing the issue of the middle haornblock postion and using Alan Gibson Sprung Hornblocks so won't repeat myself here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139826-comet-3f-jinty-chassis-issue/

I now have issues with pick-ups getting signal to the decoders. Its a regular occurance and all of my kit builds so far have had the same issue. For some reason, I just cant get them to run as nice as the RTR stuff. I will perservere and one day I will figure it out. 

Copied from the Chassis post: "I used .33mm Nickel Silver wire from Albion Alloys and it didnt like being tinned. When fitted, the solder didnt take to it properly but I perservered. I managed to programme the chip but the motor would just buzz when put under power. I know the chassis/motor etc is good as I tested on the analogue rolling road with the motor plugged in directly, so either its the pick ups or the chip. its a new DCC Concepts chip and stay-alive so I doubt its that.

I fitted one pair of pick ups so the wire rests on the top of the wheel and the front pick up from the usual rear rim of the wheel. There was a lot of sparking going on where the wire touched the wheel rim, but not much movement. Hardly any in fact.

So, over the weekend I will disconnect the chip, test the pick ups using analogue, and if it works fine, I know its an issue with the chip/stay alive. If it doesnt work, I will remove the pick ups and try again, possibly with some phospher bronze strip or brass wire.

There are still lots to do on the model: fit brake rodding & couplings, add transfers, paint buffer beam, paint brass bits (safety valves etc), add crew/lamps/coal and then weather/varnish! Priority is to get it running properly first though!!"

post-21193-0-82022200-1543570586_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-87868900-1543570597_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-12052400-1543570688_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-14217100-1543570705_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Do don’t want to teach you to suck eggs but my check list would be:

Is there a short to the dcc. Perhaps to the metal body.

Are the pick ups springy enough to always stay on the wheel even as they move side to side.

A dry joint in the dcc wiring

As an aside I use phosphorus bronze wire for pick ups.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard - Always happy for suggestions, as sometimes its the simplest thing thats over-looked that causes the issue.

If you follow the the link below, you will see more of the story and issues.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139826-comet-3f-jinty-chassis-issue/

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

So, after lots of issues with getting the chassis to run nicely, I have finally cracked it. Detals are in the other post, but mainly I stripped the chip and pick-ups off and fitted new Phospher Bronze 0.30mm wire pick ups to the tops of the rear two wheels and phospher bronze strip to the bottom of the front wheels. The middle wheel has pick ups top and bottom. I replaced the Mitsumi motor with a Mashima 1620, re-built the gearbox, re-fitted everything and tested fully in DC before fitting a new Zimo MX623 chip. All runs failry smoothly.

All thats left to do now if weather and fit the tools.

post-21193-0-08312300-1544431276_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-78207900-1544431297_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-20085900-1544431319_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Slowly making a dent in my "to-do" box, next up on the workbench is a Model Loco Ltd/DJH Armstrong-Whitworth Black 5 I got cheap off Ebay. I am covering the building of it in a different topic so you can follow it there if anyone is interested:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137609-model-loco-ltd-armstrong-whitworth-lms-black-5/?p=3401521

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yet again a kit build project has taken over from progressing with the layout, although I have simultaneously been working on etched brass buildings from Severn Models. The loco images captures progress so far, details of which can be found at the link in the previous posts. Images of the buidlings are taken from the Severn Model Railway buildings website (https://severnmodels.com/epages/eshop1179816.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1179816/Categories/Model_Railway_Kits/OO_Gauge__4mm_to_1_foot) as my kits werent ready for me to take pics of. Very easy kits to put together either soldering or super-glueing and very well detailed. 

Ian

post-21193-0-31410400-1547202341_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-18626000-1547202354_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-46771800-1547202490_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-45630100-1547202505_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-61888000-1547202517_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I am currently working on finishing the Black 5 with detailing, pick-up/decoder issues to sort out and appying the lining/transfers. 

At the same time, I have been building the D16 workshop pictured above and it is now primed and ready for painting. I have also finished painting the stables. Once the three buildings are finished, I will set them out in the designated area and make a little diorama.

I also picked up a "Really Useful Box" from B&Q complete with two trays which are designed for Xmas tree baubles. Cost £15.

Very handy for re-organising my airbrush/spraying area.

post-21193-0-24949500-1547551255_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-28369000-1547551264_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-19051500-1547551272_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-79048100-1547551569_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of progress on the etched brass buildings from Severn models while waiting for parts for the tender to finish the Black 5 off. Not fully finished, but getting there.

I have also built the storage shed and primed it ready for painting/weathering. I can then set up my little diorama near the goods storage sidings. I am thinking stables for the shunting horses, shed/hut for the shunters and a general storage shed. Happy to consider all other ideas. I already have a caol yard, weighbridge/office etc.

Ian

post-21193-0-72886800-1547805074_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-74826000-1547805093_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-62916300-1547805116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have now lined and numbered the Black 5 and waiting for the coal to dry after applying the glue in the tender before weathering it. It the mean time, I am also finishing up the few brass buidlings from Severn models and am getting ready to paint the shunting horses, shunter with pole and arrange the diorama. I also found time to build the free grounded van body from Railway Modeller and a couple of CCT vans. 

Priming and painting should take me up to the weekend!

post-21193-0-57529100-1548674696_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-31402200-1548674707_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wish mine looked as good as the one in the pic! the stables were really easy to put together. The model in the pic is off the Severn model website and he really does make them look very nice indeed.

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress made on the little diorama i am creating. Static grass, weeds and trees added and I have made the rigging (not sure of the appropriate term) for the shunting horse and set it so its pulling a wagon along the siding. 

Pics aren't great quality as it was quite a stretch getting the phone over to the area where the scene is located. A bit more detailing to do, but its almost there.

Wagon load is made up of white metal components from Skytrex and wagon is a modified Peco with couplings, coupling mounting block removed, Alan Gibson wheels fitted along with 3-link couplings. Grounded van is the freebie one from Railway Modeller.

Horses and shunter are from Dart Castings, stable hand is a Dapol workman, wheelbarrow and huts are from Severn Models.

20190325_070641_resized.jpg

20190325_070522_resized.jpg

20190325_070531_resized.jpg

20190325_070541_resized.jpg

20190325_070613_resized.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been working on a signal plan for Jencaster and over the last couple of weeks or so i have had great help from a few folks on RMWeb. They pointed out errors in the track plan, some of which i have been able to fix. The main issue involved the diamond crossing and incorrectly facing points. Now this has been rectified, and an updared plan was uploaded to the forum, "Grovenor" very kindly drew me a signalling plan to follow. 

20190407_221454.jpg

layout.png.b8a2de44c420c286309ec30fd660c234.png

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 5

Ian, can I just say thank you for the inspiration your layout has given me. Coincidentally, I'm rebuilding my railway at the moment, and I've always wanted a LMS model railway set in the 1930s! I have 12ft×5ft to work with. Its refreshing to see a model set up north instead of the GWR branch line! Will be following with interest...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the very kind message. If i manage to inspire anyone to have a go, then i have achieved something. Good luck with your layout and i look forward to seeing it evolve. I still have lots to learn and will have a go. It may not be perfect or follow prototype but i like to feel i have accomplished something.