Hornby insulating fishplates

Trip

Has anyone ever managed to fit both ends of a Hornby insulating fishplate to track without snapping it?

I think if I had the whole evening, several dozen fishplates, perfect lighting conditions, unlaid track I can pick up, some valium, and the patience of Job I might be able to get one on. I would certainly take a photograph if I did because I'm not sure anyone would believe me otherwise.

I'm not really asking a question here, just having a rant. I've run out of peco fishplates and tried to fall back on the Hornby ones I bought weeks ago and discarded as useless.

On the basis of zero experience with this product, but a lot of fooling about with thermoplastics various over the years, try a couple for a minute or so in hot water, 60C or thereabouts probably enough. That'll typical confer a small but useful increase in elasticity to the polymer, and the water will act as a lube for the sliding on. They may well split an hour later, once they are cold and don't fancy coping with the stretching any more.

I've only used Peco ones but I have occasionally had difficulty - eased by filing a slight chamfer on the rail ends; ie ensuring there are no burrs either underneath or on top of the edge being inserted.

Harold.. 

The Peco ones are much, much easier to use than the Hornby ones. They are rubbery rather than the stiff plastic Hornby uses. I was only resorting to Hornby because I ran out of Peco fishplates with one track connection left to finish a section.

Out of interest what do you use to file the rail ends? I've got some engineers files but they look a bit unwieldy for that job.

I'm using Hornby track but Peco fishplates, and that works fine. (I'm also using Peco points.) It's just the Hornby plastic fishplates that are the problem.

A refill of Peco fishplates is arriving today.

• RMweb Gold

I'm using Hornby track but Peco fishplates, and that works fine. (I'm also using Peco points.) It's just the Hornby plastic fishplates that are the problem.

A refill of Peco fishplates is arriving today.

I'm afraid I take the opposite view; I only use Hornby fishplates as I find them more reliable, longer life and better hold on the rails; this applies to both insulated and non-insulated ones. This I guess means more care on adding them to rails.

Archived